Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5740
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hello,

I started school this past week and I brought an Officejet 5740 to set up in my dorm, but I've been having trouble getting it set up. MY laptop is on the "(University)" network, but I was instructed to set up the printer on a network called "Device-(University)" and that it would still work. I also registered my printer to the "Device-(University)" network using its MAC address, which I was told was also necessary. After all that, I'm still not able to print wirelessly. I've tried restarting the printer, resetting the network settings, and deleting all the printer software off my computer and starting from scratch, but nothing has worked.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, does anyone know a solution?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Alternatively, you can connect to the printer using WiFi Direct connection.

This connection type (Wifi Direct) connects your Mobile device/computer Wifi directly to your printer and does not requires Wifi Router and is the preferred way i would use PROVIDED i do not need to continue the connection to the Wifi router network for surfing.

Do also remember to reconnect back to your WIFI router network to get internet connection after printing.

The password to connect to your printer Direct Wifi is either in the front panel display of the printer  or you need to print it out by holding the WIFi button for 3 sec.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP) .

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps in the link below and check if this helps

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617253/document/c...

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I think your Laptop (Mac) and your printer are on two seperate networks.

I would maybe approach the computer support people at the location to see if they have any FAQs about setting up printers on their wireless network.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi SeanGoldman,

Usually, the printer and your computer/mobile device must be on the same network to enable wireless printer setup. Go to Wireless Printer Setup for the Mac steps. Even though the doc is for the HP ENVY 5640/5660, the steps should be the same for your printer.

Let me know if that works!

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Alternatively, you can connect to the printer using WiFi Direct connection.

This connection type (Wifi Direct) connects your Mobile device/computer Wifi directly to your printer and does not requires Wifi Router and is the preferred way i would use PROVIDED i do not need to continue the connection to the Wifi router network for surfing.

Do also remember to reconnect back to your WIFI router network to get internet connection after printing.

The password to connect to your printer Direct Wifi is either in the front panel display of the printer  or you need to print it out by holding the WIFi button for 3 sec.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! This was the best solution by far.

HP Recommended

Glad that it helps.

Thanks for supporting HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.