Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610
Linux

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8610.  Recently, it has begun to claim it cannot connect to Web Services and that I was behind a proxy.  I manage my network and have not made any changes in the network that would cause a proxy to be present.  I also checked at http://amibehindaproxy.com/ to confirm that I do not appear to be behind a proxy from the ISP.

Frustrated by this persistent message and recent emails about not being connected to ePrint services and HP Ink, I tried both wired and wireless connections.  I've tried rebooting the printer.  I've tried rebooting the router.  I've tried setting a fixed IP and DNS Server (such as described here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Connected-Mobile-Printing-and-Cloud-Printing/HP-Officejet-Pro-8610-...).  I've tried performing factory reset on the printer, and it still cannot connect.  I've tried setting manual IP again after factory reset, to no avail.  I disconnected the PC during all of these actions to ensure the USB connection was not altering any performance.  I'm able to reach the printer on my local network with no problem.  It simply cannot communicate with the HP network.  If it cannot be resolved, I will be cancelling my HP Ink subscription. 😞

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The last thing you might try is a semi-full reset.

There are a series of icons around the printer's LCD. BL stands for the bottom left (should be a curved left arrow). It doesn't matter if its lit up or not.

Press Power button to turn the Printer On.
Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence.
Touch Support Menu.
Select Reset Menu and Touch OK.
Select Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @kenny3794

Welcome to the HP Forums. 

This document contains much of the standard troubleshooting available. I recommend going through it after reading my response.

HP Printers - Cannot Connect to Web Services

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05337026

If you were in the printer's EWS you could have accidentally selected the proxy settings. This will generate the error you are indicating. To resolve just remove the check.

One additional step, if your router supports DMZ, you could test to see if allowing the printer's IP free access if that allows Web Services to function.

Let me know what works.

-Terry

HP Instant Ink Support

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Terry - 

I checked the EWS and the printer's LCD screen to ensure Proxy was set to "No Proxy".  I tried Auto Proxy also.  I have not tried setting up a DMZ yet, I will try that after work tonight and report back.  

Ken

HP Recommended

Sounds good @kenny3794

Let me know how it works out.

-Terry

HP Instant Ink Support

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

DMZ did not work.  I confirmed DMZ was setup by visiting external IP from a PC outside my network, which presented me with the EWS page.

Any other recommendations? The current firmware version is: FDP1CN1547AR

ken

HP Recommended

Pmd

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the PM.  As discussed in the PM today, I proceeded to confirm that the required ports are not being blocked by the ISP.  I also connected to my phone as a hotspot through my wireless provider (completely different company / equipment).  This also did not work.  I've examined my system again for a hidden firewall, but found none. I have a very basic setup, and yet the printer does not work.  I've tried factory reset of the printer, this also didn't help.  Looks like i'm left with no option as there's a fundamental flaw in the printer that is preventing a software-only function from working and there appear to be no logs to tell what the failure is.  The only proposed option is to either pay HP more or cancel my Instant Ink.  Thanks for the attempted support Terry.  Goodbye Instant Ink.

HP Recommended

The last thing you might try is a semi-full reset.

There are a series of icons around the printer's LCD. BL stands for the bottom left (should be a curved left arrow). It doesn't matter if its lit up or not.

Press BL, BL, BL, BL Buttons, in sequence.
Touch Support Menu.
Select Reset Menu and Touch OK.
Select Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK.
Wait for unit to Power Down/Turn Off.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks.  That did the trick.

HP Recommended

Thanks much. It works for my Officejet Pro 8620. One additional note is that you may have to re-enroll your printer if you subscribe to HP Instant Ink program (https://instantink.hpconnected.com/) . I think the Instant Ink web site sees the printer as a different printer after reset. In my case, I have to choose "Replace Printer" in order to continue with all the account settings and history, etc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.