Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hello All,

I have been using HP Instant Ink program for almost a year now. I found some old ink that I have for my printer from before I enrolled. I don't want to waste this ink. I assume it's still good. I'd like to use it in the printer. Anyone know if that will cause any problems? Or does anyone know of a number I can call to find out the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@816chuck

Thank you for choosing the HP Support Forums, a community energized by solutions, as we are eager to help resolve your concerns,

I am Riddle_Decipher and I'm at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉

You may use the regular/unofficial ink with your device that shouldn't be an issue, that said, printing on regular cartridge will not be counted in the HP Instant Ink plan, you can, however, switch back to the HP Instant Ink cartridges whenever you deplete the regular ink or any time you feel like, now remember, that the printer will print a test/alignment page when the Instant Ink cartridge is printed and that's counted as one page too, so are copies!

Either way, as long as you have an instant ink subscription you will be charged every month whether you are a printer or not, 

Similar to those gym subscriptions! 😉

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off, in case you don't respond in the next 24-48hrs,

As I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@816chuck

Thank you for choosing the HP Support Forums, a community energized by solutions, as we are eager to help resolve your concerns,

I am Riddle_Decipher and I'm at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉

You may use the regular/unofficial ink with your device that shouldn't be an issue, that said, printing on regular cartridge will not be counted in the HP Instant Ink plan, you can, however, switch back to the HP Instant Ink cartridges whenever you deplete the regular ink or any time you feel like, now remember, that the printer will print a test/alignment page when the Instant Ink cartridge is printed and that's counted as one page too, so are copies!

Either way, as long as you have an instant ink subscription you will be charged every month whether you are a printer or not, 

Similar to those gym subscriptions! 😉

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off, in case you don't respond in the next 24-48hrs,

As I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

thank you for the response. It's very helpful. It makes sense and what I was hoping for. When these cartridges run out, then I'll put in the non-Instant Ink cartridges until they're used. I'll print the heck out of them, so that I use them up quickly. 🙂

It would be great to put the Instant Ink on hold for a month or so. Hmm, maybe I can do that by downgrading my service until the old, nII cartridges are used up.

Thanks again.

Chuck

HP Recommended

@816chuck,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

I'm glad to hear you we could contribute towards the issue and finding the information for your issue, However, you seem to have an issue where you would like to keep the Instant ink account on hold while you are using the regular ink cartridges. 

You will still be charged for the subscription and not for the ink cartridges. 

Instant Ink is a print-by-page subscription service and Instant Ink cartridges are provided as part of the subscription at no extra charge. 

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be more than happy to help you.

Keep me posted,

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.