Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

According to my ISP, my Surface Pro laptop and my HP Officejet Pro 8610 are on the same network. However, my laptop is not seeing the printer. When I try to navigate to the HP EWS, I get a network error, which suggests to me that they are not actually on the same network.

Three added notes:

1. I have a dual band router. the laptop is on 5 GHz and the printer is on 2.4 GHz

2. Another laptop (old HP Pavillion with W10) is on 5 and it *can* print wireless to the same printer

3. My iphone also will no longer print. It sees the sees the printer but stalls on "printing to ..."

I'll appreciate any ideas to get everyone talking again. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

IP addresses of the hardware?

ping to the printer?

IP Resevation.png

Fix/Reserve the printer address.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the note. Here are the results of the ping

Pinging [Printer IP] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from [Printer IP]: bytes=32 time=267ms TTL=255
Reply from [Printer IP]: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=255
Reply from [Printer IP]: bytes=32 time=286ms TTL=255
Reply from [Printer IP]: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for [Printer IP]:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 47ms, Maximum = 332ms, Average = 233ms

Please explain fix/reserve. I don't know what that means.

HP Recommended

Hi

You haven't listed the IP addresses you are pinging to and from.

Or the allocated IP addresses.

DHCP allocates IP addresses, either dynamically (they can change every time you boot-up)  or you FIX/RESERVE them so they are static and easier to find and send data to, like a printer.

HP Recommended

It wasn't clear to me that it's safe to share the IP. I've set a static IP for the printer and pinged it. Here are the results:

Pinging 192.168.1.215 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.215: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.215: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.215: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.215: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.215:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 122ms, Average = 59ms

I'm still not able to print.

HP Recommended

Hi

So now you know their is a connection between the PC and the Printer.

I suggest un-installing the printer, re-booting and then re-installing the driver.

I would, just as a comparison. ping 192.169.1.1 which is your default gateway and compare the times.

HP Recommended

I uninstalled. The laptop wouldn't find the printer for reinstalling. I reinstalled manually but the test page failed. 

HP Recommended

Hi

In my screenshot there is a reference to a 'pushbutton' which is on the Modem/Router and will connect almost anything.

So you press the button on the Router and then on the Printer and a connection is made.

Then the printer shows up in the "Connected Devices" screen of your Modem/Router.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would also suggest printing and evaluating a Wireless Test report, may it indicate any network problem or warning?

• On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon, and then touch the Settings (gear) icon.
  • Touch Print Reports, and then touch Wireless Test Report.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.