Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hello,

I have spent hours tryingt to get my printer to print wirelessly, but without success.  It is connected to the network as indicated by the EWS (both with respect to "wireless" as well as "wireless direct printing", and the display screens in the network section say the same.  BUT the outside wireless icon (on the panel, but not in the display) is off, which tells me there is an issue.  My router also says the printer is connected to the home wireless network.  I cna print using the eprint (email) tool, but I cannot print directly from the computer, by which one chooses the printer wirelessly and the print comes out in the printer.  

I have checked updates (all good there), rebooted all machines (laptop, printer, and router), and checked all options I see in the printer itself, EWS, and HP Utility.  I also 'restored network settings' to default in the printer, and re-did the whole setup again.  I also uninstalled the printer from my laptop (Mac) and installed it again.

Any ideas?  HP will no longer provide support because warranty expired.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pirarucu

It looks like you were interacting with @senan6806, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

Since ePrint is working fine, it means the printer is connected to the Network

I suggest we Reset the Printing System and then Re-Add the Printer as Airprint

Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

10. Add the Printer as Airprint

Try printing and let me know how it goes

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@pirarucu

A warm welcome to HP Forums!This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

As per this document, HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer is not compatible with macOS 10.14 Mojave and the drivers are not available from the HP website or Apple Software Update. However, HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer is AirPrint compatible. Let's try setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint. Here is how to do it:

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
2.) 
Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint or Secure AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print and scan.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks very much for the tips.  I had already done this, but did again, just in case.  As before, the computer says the print job was sent, but nothing came out in the printer...  E-print does work however... but I rarely need to use this function....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P

HP Recommended

@pirarucu

It looks like you were interacting with @senan6806, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

Since ePrint is working fine, it means the printer is connected to the Network

I suggest we Reset the Printing System and then Re-Add the Printer as Airprint

Resetting the printing system removes all printers and scanners from the printers queue and clears all print jobs and print settings from the system, including printers and scanners that are not from HP

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

10. Add the Printer as Airprint

Try printing and let me know how it goes

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello All,

Thank you for the feedback.  I finally was able to get it to work when I rebooted the router and printer and turned them on (first router, then printer).  I had rebooted them before, but somehow it made the trick this time.  PROBLEM SOLVED!

HP Recommended

@pirarucu

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Greetings!

I can email word docs as attachments to my 8600 eprint just fine.

But I cannot print directly from my chromebook. I HAVE been able to do this for over a year, and suddenly it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

THANK!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.