Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET PRO 8710
macOS 10.12 Sierra
Greetings
I have wirelessly connected HP OFFICEJET PRO 8710 to my iMac operating system Sierra 10.12 . The printer works until it goes idol went to go use idol I cannot print from the computer nor from any mobile device . I have been through all of the steps I'm not sure what else I can do at this point . It does work when I shut down the devices & reboot. It stops working when the printer goes idle. *** is there a way to disable the printer from going idle??***.
Please help! I cannot print. I have performed every solution I could find. Thank you!!!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Greetings!

It is unfortunate that this printer cannot be plugged into any sort of surge protector of it will not work. (Correct?)

Thank you !!!! I deeply appreciate your kindness. Doing the steps below FIXED my printer.

Resetting power to the printer forces the printer to reset stored values in the firmware. A power reset can help when the printer is not accepting communication from the Mac.
Make sure the printer is idle, not making any sounds, before continuing.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.
Try printing again and note what happens.
If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

I did the above .... it works!!! I certainly wish I could plug it into a single search protector at least. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope this printer does not catch a surge .

Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Hello??? Anyone???
HP Recommended

Sorry, all the volunteers are getting home from work.

Please provide the following relevant information so someone can help including:

Printer Model – done
Operating System of computer - done
Detailed Problem Description including all network devices (extenders, switches)-
Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless, Wireless Direct? -
Make and model number of router(s) and modem? -
Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns? –
Is the printer plugged directly into the wall outlet?  Do not use any UPS, power strip or surge protector.  Yes this WILL cause the printer to drop offline and print strangely.
Do you think the printer is going to sleep and can’t wake up? -
If wireless, when the problem occurs, what is the status of Blue Wireless light on the printer, on, off or blinking? –

Power off printer and router.  Power on router and wait 3 mins, power on printer.  Does it connect to the router now?  Do you have a valid IP address?

HP Recommended
Greetings!

It is unfortunate that this printer cannot be plugged into any sort of surge protector of it will not work. (Correct?)

Thank you !!!! I deeply appreciate your kindness. Doing the steps below FIXED my printer.

Resetting power to the printer forces the printer to reset stored values in the firmware. A power reset can help when the printer is not accepting communication from the Mac.
Make sure the printer is idle, not making any sounds, before continuing.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.
Try printing again and note what happens.
If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.

I did the above .... it works!!! I certainly wish I could plug it into a single search protector at least. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope this printer does not catch a surge .

Thank you!!!
HP Recommended

iMac running Sierra the 8710 will print sometimes then all of a sudden decide to not communicate with the iMac I have to do the power off thing to get the print job to continue. This is happening all the time. I've reinstalled the printer several times as well.  The "firmware" won't do anything; when i try running it it says firmware downloader does not have updates for your device . This is extremely frustrating that a new printer with the never run out of ink program as well, keeps hanging up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.