Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

How can I block third party outside my network to print on my printer . It appeared that neighbour could print while not in my own network. i.e. Wifi modem (TC7210), HP officejet 5740, 2 laptops and 1 android smartphone. Which settings do I need to change?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Koenraad

Printer:

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer

Wireless

In most cases, the "theft" of printer use is due to having left open the Wireless security settings.

You can set up your security settings, including the addition of a password necessary to access your Wireless.  This is generally enough to block the average wireless sniffing neighbor.

See your User Guide, Chapter 8 - Page 82

Additional Information:

HP ENVY 7640, Officejet 5740, or Officejet 8040 e-All-in-One Printer - First Time Printer Setup

• Watch the helpful video, and read Step 5 > Wireless Connection

Green_Line_1.jpg

ePrint

ePrint resource theft might be due to your neighbor having access to your printer's ePrint email address.

Control access to your printer's email:

• (Optional) Change the printer's ePrint email address -- Do not publish or otherwise allow the email address to your printer to be made public.
  • Edit the "Allowed Senders" list to restrict who can send ePrint jobs to your printer.

See:

Add Device to Printer

Sections, various, including:

• The HP Connected Account
  • Examples – Photosmart 7520 – HP Connected / ePrint – Devices
  • Examples >> Officejet 8630 – Logged into HP Connected / ePrint – Devices

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Koenraad

Printer:

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer

Wireless

In most cases, the "theft" of printer use is due to having left open the Wireless security settings.

You can set up your security settings, including the addition of a password necessary to access your Wireless.  This is generally enough to block the average wireless sniffing neighbor.

See your User Guide, Chapter 8 - Page 82

Additional Information:

HP ENVY 7640, Officejet 5740, or Officejet 8040 e-All-in-One Printer - First Time Printer Setup

• Watch the helpful video, and read Step 5 > Wireless Connection

Green_Line_1.jpg

ePrint

ePrint resource theft might be due to your neighbor having access to your printer's ePrint email address.

Control access to your printer's email:

• (Optional) Change the printer's ePrint email address -- Do not publish or otherwise allow the email address to your printer to be made public.
  • Edit the "Allowed Senders" list to restrict who can send ePrint jobs to your printer.

See:

Add Device to Printer

Sections, various, including:

• The HP Connected Account
  • Examples – Photosmart 7520 – HP Connected / ePrint – Devices
  • Examples >> Officejet 8630 – Logged into HP Connected / ePrint – Devices

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi @Koenraad

Check out the link below for tips on how to protect outside folks connecting to your printer..

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Set-up-a-wireless-printer-but-don-t-think-it-is-passwor...

Can you please post back to let us know if this helped?

www.hp.com/go/wirelessprinting

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.