Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer
macOS 10.14 Mojave

After upgrading our router, the primary printer will not stay awake.  The printer is an  HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer that is wirelessly connected to the internet.  It does not appear to have a problem being connected to the internet.  When one of us asks it to print, the files sit in the queue until I climb up to it (it's on the top of a high shelf), unplug and replug it in.  It will not respond to the power button.  It does not give us an error code.  When I check the file, it says the printer is not connected.  

It is a few years old.  Is this because of age?  Or not, because it'll print fine once we restart it.  It just won't stay awake for long so after it's done printing what is waiting, it goes to sleep again and won't wake up without a hard reset.  

I tried looking for an updated driver.  I am using a mac with the latest software.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mochaphobic

Thank you for the update. Performing the factory reset may resolve this issue.

Keep me updated.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@mochaphobic

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Updating the printer firmware and assigning a manual IP address to the printer may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Step 2: On the printer control panel display, swipe left and select Setup. Click Preferences and disable Auto-off.

If the issue is not resolved, proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Assign a Manual IP address to the printer

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.

• Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

• Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

• Go to Network Setup > Ethernet/Wireless Settings > Advanced Settings > IP Settings > Select Manual IP

• You would be asked to enter the IP address, default gateway, Subnet Mask, Preferred and Alternate DNS

• For the IP address, say if your printer IP address is 192.168.0.3, try assigning a different IP address that is slightly in a different rage like 192.168.0.88

• Enter the default gateway and Subnet Mask values obtained from the network configuration page

• For the Preferred DNS use 8.8.8.8 and alternate DNS as 8.8.8.4

• Touch OK and save changes

To watch a Video as how to assign a manual IP, click here

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'm working through the solutions.  We thought updating both my laptop and the printer had resolved the problem but it wouldn't wake up again today.  Since it seems to stay awake for hours and then shut down, I'm hoping that disabling the auto-off will solve my problem.

HP Recommended

@mochaphobic

Thank you for the update. Disabling Auto-OFF and assigning a manual IP address to the printer may resolve this issue. Kindly perform Step 2 and 3 from my previous post.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Am starting to think the printer is actually dying.  It will not wake up when we press the power button.  We have to unplug it and replug it in.  Now that I've done that, it'll be another 12 hours before I can test it again.  I'm sorry it's taking so long!  It's the last week of school before summer break and, as a teacher and mom, my life has been insane!  As soon as it restarts, I'll assign it an IP address but I'm really thinking that since it won't start up when you press the power button, even after disabling auto-off,  there might be something more major going on.  Oh, my husband just realized that these problems started after updating our router from one that we had to manually connect to a level of service to a router that selects the best speed of internet for each device.  Not sure if those things make a difference or not.

HP Recommended

So this time it stayed awake for maybe a day and then refused to wake up again.  Auto-off is disabled, so presumably it should be staying awake, right?  Anyhow, I'm trying to set the IP address manually but my networking screen doesn't show the same options as your instruction so I hope I did it correctly.  I should know tomorrow or Tuesday if it worked.  Sorry - I won't be home Monday to check it out.  

Again, thanks for hanging in here with me as I go through this process.

HP Recommended

@mochaphobic

Thank you for the update. Assigning a Manual IP to the printer fixes the issue most of the times. Let me know the progress once you get time to test the printer.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar0307, none of these have solved the problem.  The printer was assigned a manual IP address and it will only print if I unplug and replug it back in.  Until I do that, it doesn't respond at all.  Is there anything else to try?  

HP Recommended

@mochaphobic

• What happens when you tap the screen of the printer when it is in sleep mode? Does it wake up?

If the issue persists after performing all the troubleshooting steps, we can try resetting the printer to its factory defaults and check if that helps.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What happens when you tap the screen of the printer when it is in sleep mode? Does it wake up?

Nothing happens when the screen is tapped.  Nothing happens when the buttons are pressed.  It is like it's frozen until we unplug it and replug it in.  Then it starts up and acts normal for a random amount of time.  This time it was a few days.  I will try the factory reset tomorrow.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.