PuebloBoy
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Cannot use ink cartridges until enrol to Instant ink" message

office jet 6960 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my printer off eBay.  I had trouble getting it to print from my pc, yet it printed fine from its own menu.  Whilst messing about with the printer menus, it gave me a screen that meant I had to join Instant Ink, which I do not want.  There was no way back or forward from this screen other than to comply, so I switched off the printer.  Next time I re-started, I got the "Cannot use ink cartridges until enroll to Instant ink" message.

Surely, the previous owner paid for the ink, so why is HP stopping me from using it?  How petty!  I now have to hope that when I put my newly purchased compatible cartridges, it will then work.  Just plugged them in, and yes they work, just not as crisp as the instant ink.  But what a waste of ink, not being able to use the instant ink cartridges 🙂

I guess if I enroll to Instant Ink, I will be able to use the cartridges?  What if i cancel after 1 month, can I still use the cartridges until the ink runs dry?  i only use occasionally, so won't reach many pages in a month.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,485 6,478 423 523
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Cannot use ink cartridges until enrol to Instant ink" message

Hi @PuebloBoy

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

I see that you have received the printer with Instant Ink cartridges from the previous owner. If the previous owner has suspended/canceled the Instant Ink subscription, you will not be able to use the Instant Ink cartridges in the printer to print. You will have to use regular HP ink cartridges.

You may enroll the printer to Instant Ink and a new set of Instant Ink cartridges will be sent to you. For more info on enrolling the printer, refer to this document. 

Once the Instant Ink subscription is canceled, you will be able to use the Instant Ink cartridges only for that billing cycle.

For more info on Instant Ink, refer to the FAQ document here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation