Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP all in one 3050A
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can anyone tell me if there may be a security problem with my printer,  an HP all in one 3050A?

I use this printer wi fi, and it always works great.

However, I noticed about a year ago that in my router, this printer has an IP address. When I put the IP in the search bar, it goes to a page that says :

* HP DESKJET 3050a ALL IN ONE PRINTER J611g.*

It lists the ink levels, scan to computer, the status, network (lines from my pinter, network, eprint.

It also has other tabs for scan, web services, network, security

I never do cloud printing or e-printing. I was really surprised to see this ip address and my printer information. If I can see it, anyone can type the ip address in a browser and see it. It does not ask for a password, and I was never prompted to put in a password. I saw this after my notebook was hacked and  the wi fi password in my notebook was compromised. I changed the router password and wi if password. I also had to update the wi fi in the printer, and that is how I found this.  

I live in an area where people can get too close to my house. My phone was hacked also.  I have learned from all these and try to be secure. 

But I have to say, I am at a loss as to this printer IP. 

It would be a real headache to make my printer hard wired. It is in the next room, which is cramped.  Other than hard wiring the printer, is there a way to secure it? 

I have had to change the wi fi password, which always requires I re-do the password for the printer, my phone. I change the printer wi fi by the software CD. That has also created more printers under printer and other devices. 

Short of giving up the convenience of wi fi, can anyone recommend a way to either block the IP or take other security meausres? Is there a need for that? I do no e-printing, don't want to, no cloud printing so I don't even need to have this. I just want the printer for my notebook. 

I am not even sure what if anything a person can do with this information if they had it. 

Can anyone tell me:

1) seeing this IP address, would a person with computer savvy be able to print copies of documents I've printed? I have had documents "waiting in line" in the printer that was "off-line." If I have to re-install, for example, a second printer will be set up. I wasn't even aware the documents that weren't printing were kept in the queu.

2) a way to change this so that nobody sees or has access to the IP? 

Under the "tools" tab, for example, anyone can see my serial number, model number, firmware version, useage report

3) the last tab is "settings" and under that, it lists "security" and "password."  I clicked that, and it goes to a page in big red letters that says "you will be re-directed to a secure page" but the page it goes to says it is NOT secure, and has a big warning "not secure" and says "attackers may be trying to steal your information" 

I really don't know what to think of this. If is it  anything or nothing. 

Is anyone familiar with this type of set up? Is there a way to avoid the printer having an IP address and use the wi fi? Is there a way to secure it? My biggest concern is that if I have documents in the queu, can someone access and print them from the IP address or even read it? 

I have uninstalled the HP printer software completely and re-installed. There is one printer listed now under printers and devices. There are no documents stacking up.  But I would like to not have the IP address, or at least not showing. Is possible? 

I appreciate any suggestions and also any thoughts about the security issues with this. Thank you,

GMT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What you are seeing is the printer Embedded Web Server or EWS.  Totally normal, all printers have this feature by going to their IP address.   It is secure as your printer is on your wireless network protected by your routers SSID and password.

In the EWS there is a Security Tab that allows you to set a password for EWS.  You may set that it you want.

Security Password Settings

You can set a password to prevent unauthorized users from remotely configuring the printer or viewing printer settings from the embedded web server (EWS). Once set, this password is required to change or view many printer settings from the EWS.

The password can only consist of the following printable ASCII characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and the following special characters:!"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~

To disable the password, leave the boxes blank.

User Name admin

Password

Confirm Password

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

What you are seeing is the printer Embedded Web Server or EWS.  Totally normal, all printers have this feature by going to their IP address.   It is secure as your printer is on your wireless network protected by your routers SSID and password.

In the EWS there is a Security Tab that allows you to set a password for EWS.  You may set that it you want.

Security Password Settings

You can set a password to prevent unauthorized users from remotely configuring the printer or viewing printer settings from the embedded web server (EWS). Once set, this password is required to change or view many printer settings from the EWS.

The password can only consist of the following printable ASCII characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and the following special characters:!"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~

To disable the password, leave the boxes blank.

User Name admin

Password

Confirm Password

HP Recommended

Hi

I got a message but it was to sell something. 

Maybe someone can help in the spirit of this forum? 

My wi fi has the top security, pa2, 

aes.

Do I need to set up network security? I really didn't think anyone woujld be giving me a private message saying call hp tech support and someone trying to sell me something. This is supposed to be people helping each other.

HP Recommended

As long as your are using WPA2-AES encryption on your router with a strong password, you are fine. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.

i appreciate it and will go ahead and se thte password. It can't hurt. 

Just one question: where to I access the EWS? 

My pringter IP, and then can you tell me where I find that?

I appreciate your help so much!

(I got a private message saying call tech support -- of course, they want to charge) 

GMT

HP Recommended

It appears you already have.  Simply put the IP address of the printer into your browser bar and it comes up.

HP Recommended

This printer has been in use so long, the manual is who knows where. But I am loathe to replace something that still works. Thanks for answering the questions, all, I am just glad to know it isn't something to worry about -- it never hurts to ask.

will still look for EWS.

gmt

HP Recommended

You can always search the web for about 5 seconds to find your HP Support site.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-3050a-e-all-in-one-printer-series-j611/4311836/model...

HP Recommended

BTW, have you ever tried going to your routers EWS page????

Try going to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever your routers IP address is?

HP Recommended

I see nowhere on that page where one can set up a password. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.