Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hp photosmart 5510 e-all in one printer B111a

windows vista 32-bit

error message- server connection error: -1 there was a problem connecting to the server, press retry or ok to continue

no changes were made to my operating system

Am trying to add new apps from eprint center from my Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop to my HP printer. Computer tells me the new apps are there and ready to use, but printer says "server connection error"? I followed all the directions for connecting to the wireless router, but I'm not sure how to connect to the "server"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The steps below typically resolve the issue you’re experiencing:

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the back of your router (and modem, if separate from the router).

3. Wait 20 seconds, then plug the router (and modem, if applicable) back in.

4. Wait 30 seconds, then plug the printer back in and power it on.

5. Press the ePrint button on the printer's front panel, and it should try to connect to Web Services again.

Those steps usually resolve the issue, but if it still occurs you can try setting static network info for the printer (which sometimes helps to stabilize the printer's ability to get outside of your network, to the internet):

1.  Press the wireless icon at the top of the printer's screen and note the IP address.

2.  Enter the IP address into the address bar of a web browser on a computer and press enter or click the browser's go button. 

3.  The printer status page should be opened.  Click on Network at the top.

4.  Click on Networking on the left.

5.  Select Proxy Settings.
Note:  If you are prompted for a redirect, select OK.  If you receive a certificate warning, select the option that lets you continue anyway.
If you receive a Internal System Error, refresh the page until it loads the proxy settings.

6.  Verify that all fields are blank.  If they are not, clear them and make sure the Proxy Server requires authentication is unchecked and click apply.  You should get a success message.

7.  Click on Network Address (IP) on the left.
Note:  If you only see IP Address Configuration and DNS Address Configuration with a yellow note, refresh the page until it loads completely.

8.  Leave the IP Address Configuration as Automatic IP.

9.  Change DNS Address Configuration to Manual DNS server.

10.  Enter 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Manual Alternate DNS Server.

11.  Click Apply and you should get a success message.

12.  Power off the printer for 30 seconds and then turn it back on to force the new settings to take effect.

Let me know if you have any further issues. Thanks!

If I have SOLVED your issue, please feel free to provide KUDOS and make sure you mark this thread as SOLUTION PROVIDED!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

The steps below typically resolve the issue you’re experiencing:

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the back of your router (and modem, if separate from the router).

3. Wait 20 seconds, then plug the router (and modem, if applicable) back in.

4. Wait 30 seconds, then plug the printer back in and power it on.

5. Press the ePrint button on the printer's front panel, and it should try to connect to Web Services again.

Those steps usually resolve the issue, but if it still occurs you can try setting static network info for the printer (which sometimes helps to stabilize the printer's ability to get outside of your network, to the internet):

1.  Press the wireless icon at the top of the printer's screen and note the IP address.

2.  Enter the IP address into the address bar of a web browser on a computer and press enter or click the browser's go button. 

3.  The printer status page should be opened.  Click on Network at the top.

4.  Click on Networking on the left.

5.  Select Proxy Settings.
Note:  If you are prompted for a redirect, select OK.  If you receive a certificate warning, select the option that lets you continue anyway.
If you receive a Internal System Error, refresh the page until it loads the proxy settings.

6.  Verify that all fields are blank.  If they are not, clear them and make sure the Proxy Server requires authentication is unchecked and click apply.  You should get a success message.

7.  Click on Network Address (IP) on the left.
Note:  If you only see IP Address Configuration and DNS Address Configuration with a yellow note, refresh the page until it loads completely.

8.  Leave the IP Address Configuration as Automatic IP.

9.  Change DNS Address Configuration to Manual DNS server.

10.  Enter 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Manual Alternate DNS Server.

11.  Click Apply and you should get a success message.

12.  Power off the printer for 30 seconds and then turn it back on to force the new settings to take effect.

Let me know if you have any further issues. Thanks!

If I have SOLVED your issue, please feel free to provide KUDOS and make sure you mark this thread as SOLUTION PROVIDED!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

I am having this same issue. I just did all of the above and still getting the error! PLease help, it is driving me nuts!!!!

HP Recommended
The 1st set of directions in previous reply solved my issue, I unplugged my router, cable modem and printer.... waited for about a minute, then plugged in modem and waited till all lights came on, then plugged in router and waited till that was done booting and then plugged in printer. At 1st I saw the same error message on touch screen of printer and thought issue wasn't solved, but when I looked at laptop I saw that on my screen bottom tray the apps I was trying to get prior were there. So I clicked on them and apps didn't have any error messages any more, so I went back to the touch screen of printer, clicked on "apps" and it took like a good 20 seconds or so of "thinking" before everything (all the extra app icons I dolwnloaded from the HP website) showed up on the printer touch screen with no error ccodes! Tested some of the apps out just to make sure they worked and all did, thank you! My printer seems to change its IP address alot, why? I don't know.... and now i'm having issues with printing coupons and pictures...first page will be ok, but all pages after print out of alignment as if my header margin was incrreased by at least 2 inches or so, but I haven't physically changed any print margins and paper inserted correctly, etc. Then printer told me I had a paper jam when nothing was jammed and no paper in printer? Very frustrating when all I want to do is simple stuff with my printer like print out some coupons or make a copy of something.
HP Recommended
Thank you so much, I did have to go through the entire proxy part, but following your steps it was very easy. Worked just like you said it would. Keep it up!!
HP Recommended

Hi I have completed all these steps on my HP 5524 and have similiar problem.  I can print to it from my windows 7 pc but get the following message when trying to enable web services:

Cannot connect to the server.

Check the Internet connection and try again. Or contact your system administrator or the person who set up the printer.
If your network requires a proxy server address to connect to Internet, click Enter Proxy or check your browser settings.

I have automatic Ip address, DNS server settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and empty proxy settings. I link through a BT Homehub 2 on BT broadband. Any suggestions?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I left my printer off overnight and rebooted my router and it is now working using the settings above. I am now connected to web server.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I too had the same problem with the Photosmart 7520.  I was ready to return the printer and had tried everything till I read your message.     IT WORKED!  Thank you so much for your help. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP deskjet Ink advantage 5525. I am getting the same error "server connection error:-1". I have steps 1 to 12 as mentioned by you. The problems remains the same. Please help.

thanks.

HP Recommended

Solution? This is a solution? Why is connecting to the hp server much, much, more difficult than any other web connection that are made to thousands of servers?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.