Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6835 All-in-One-Printer

I have received so many color ink cartridges that I have 5 unused boxes of them.  The last black ink cartridge doesn't work at all - maybe it's too old, and it was not replaced by the service.  On top of that, I get charged extra if I go over x amount of pages.  I could not find a number to call or chat with a real person to to replace the faulty black ink cartridge and find a resolution to all these extra color cartridges that I've paid for.  I finally had to un-enroll to quit getting color cartridges, and of course, now the cartridges no longer work.  This makes absolutely no sense to me.  Does anybody know how I can talk to someone at HP who can help me with this?  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bandtasia 

Instant Ink Cartridges are ordered by the printer when the criteria for ordering is triggered.  Obviously, you were sent more ink than you needed.  I cannot provide a reason for what happened.

The Instant Ink subscription was never a "free ink" service except that during the time the print-by-page contract is active, Ink is provided at no extra charge to the plan subscription to Instant Ink.

Instant Ink cartridges remain the property of HP - you never owned these.  The Terms of Service contract explains that after the service is terminated / cancelled, (that) all Instant Ink cartridges should be removed from the printer and returned to HP (in a free return envelope). 

Instant Ink cartridges are locked (and can no longer be used) a period of time after the subscription is no longer active.

Stop web services

Remove all the Instant Ink cartridges and (ideally) return them to HP

Purchase and install a new set of HP ink cartridges

Find information, clarification, "How it works", FAQ, and the all important Terms of Service Contract

Website ➡️  HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Service / Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Where is the Instant Ink contract?

Scroll down on the web page > Just after the FAQ section, open and read your "Terms of Service" contract.

Sections in the contract explain what you need to know, the benefits, how to cancel (and what is involved), and your responsibilities.

For example, at this writing, in the Terms contract for the USA:

5.  INSTANT INK SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
6.  CHOOSING AN INSTANT INK SERVICE PLAN

9.  CANCELLATION

NOTE:  You do NOT have to be subscribed to the Instant Ink service to the service to read the contract!

For those reading:  If you find "after market" Instant Ink cartridges available on the Internet, these are "black market" and they will not work.  Don't bother purchasing.

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 6835 e-All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@bandtasia 

Instant Ink Cartridges are ordered by the printer when the criteria for ordering is triggered.  Obviously, you were sent more ink than you needed.  I cannot provide a reason for what happened.

The Instant Ink subscription was never a "free ink" service except that during the time the print-by-page contract is active, Ink is provided at no extra charge to the plan subscription to Instant Ink.

Instant Ink cartridges remain the property of HP - you never owned these.  The Terms of Service contract explains that after the service is terminated / cancelled, (that) all Instant Ink cartridges should be removed from the printer and returned to HP (in a free return envelope). 

Instant Ink cartridges are locked (and can no longer be used) a period of time after the subscription is no longer active.

Stop web services

Remove all the Instant Ink cartridges and (ideally) return them to HP

Purchase and install a new set of HP ink cartridges

Find information, clarification, "How it works", FAQ, and the all important Terms of Service Contract

Website ➡️  HP Instant Ink - Main Website - Information, Enroll, FAQ, Terms of Service / Contract

Not your home site?  Click the Flag to change to your region.

Where is the Instant Ink contract?

Scroll down on the web page > Just after the FAQ section, open and read your "Terms of Service" contract.

Sections in the contract explain what you need to know, the benefits, how to cancel (and what is involved), and your responsibilities.

For example, at this writing, in the Terms contract for the USA:

5.  INSTANT INK SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
6.  CHOOSING AN INSTANT INK SERVICE PLAN

9.  CANCELLATION

NOTE:  You do NOT have to be subscribed to the Instant Ink service to the service to read the contract!

For those reading:  If you find "after market" Instant Ink cartridges available on the Internet, these are "black market" and they will not work.  Don't bother purchasing.

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Officejet Pro 6835 e-All-in-One Printer

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Do you know, off the top of your head, if I can get CREDIT for all those unused, unopened ink cartridges when I send them back to HP, as I did pay for them?  This is not a new thing with Instant Ink - I had the same problem with my last printer in getting ink that far exceeded the demand. 

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

@bandtasia 

@bandtasia wrote:

Do you know, off the top of your head, if I can get CREDIT for all those unused, unopened ink cartridges when I send them back to HP, as I did pay for them?  This is not a new thing with Instant Ink - I had the same problem with my last printer in getting ink that far exceeded the demand. 

Thank you so much!

You are welcome.

No, you don't get credit - you never owned the ink - ink was included in the print-by-page subscription plan.  Once the subscription is terminated, the unused (and any used) cartridges should be returned to HP.

It is a misconception that the plan is "Free ink" - ink is included in the subscription but it is only "free" while the subscription is active.   You never paid for the ink - it was simply included in the plan.  I am sorry you were sent so much extra - it makes it seem like "Wow!  I have all this ink, Yay!"  

You were playing for the subscription - the ink was included with the subscription.

No plan = no Instant Ink cartridges.

People who save money on Instant Ink subscriptions are typically those who print regularly and print a "known" quantity each month. 

For example,

Teachers, lawyers, business people might benefit.  If you print 300 pages or more every month, it is real nice not to have to purchase ink all the time. 

If, like me, you print 20 pages a month, well - purchased XL ink lasts a while and the savings would likely not be so noticeable. 

I realize the idea of reading the contract "after the fact" is a frustrating exercise.  I am sorry for that.

Stay Home - Stay Safe - Save Lives - Help a Friend (or Community member) in need!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarification!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.