Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP 7520 All in One
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Need a little help.  Blasting through Photo black ink instead of standard 564XL Black.  Please help before I chunk this printer which was very good in the past.  Need normal person directions or suggestions.  Not real tech savvy so nothing fancy and please don't direct to an HP manual or procedure.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @HKB44

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

All printers that use more than 2 cartridges, will consume ink from all the cartridges to get high-quality black prints. (K-Fortification)All printers that use more than 2 cartridges, will consume ink from all the cartridges to get high-quality black prints. (K-Fortification)

Refer to this Article "HP Inkjet Printers - Printing with Black Ink Only (Windows)"

This black only article explains the difference between Black only and grayscale and the procedure to set them.

Based on your requirement you can follow the procedure and print on your printer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

None of this worked.  The printer continues to try to use the PHOTO black ink cartridge even after changing settings to Black and White only and Grayscale.  I've looked at other posts with the same issues and none of the Hp suggestions seem to help.  Guess I will go buy another dang PHOTO black cartridge.  But I will not buy another Hp product after this.  Guess I didn't do my homework.  

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to me.

What is the paper type you're using to print?

HP Recommended

I am also having this issue and am extremely disappointed that this setting can't be changed. Surely a software fix is all that's required? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.