Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this printer connected to wifi since I purchased it.  I recently moved have have a new internet provider and a new modem.  The printer can find my network through the wizard and when I put in my password it tells me over and over again that it can't connect.  My tablets, phone and laptop connect just fine.  I have tried re-configuring from USB to wifi through the utility in the software, but it gets to the same point and says it can't connect.  I have run the troubleshooter over and over and it still won't connect.  I can connect to the desktop with the USB cable, but if I can't connect through the wifi I can't use the Instant Ink and I can't print from my other devices.  I have checked the modem and I don't have MAC address filtering enabled.  I actually tried enabling it and adding the printer MAC address and that didn't work either.  

It hangs at the password every time.  I have tried it over and over and over and double-check the password every time and it still won't connect.  Help?  Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @RueHann

Are you able to print using a USB cable?

Are you able to print from other devices?

Are the printer and computer connected to the same wireless network?

Try the steps recommended below.

Restart computer, router and printer together to connect them back to the network.

Try restoring the printer network settings to default and connect the printer back to the network using the wireless setup wizard.

1. Press the Wireless button to access the Wireless Status
menu.
2. Press the button next to Settings to access the Wireless
Settings menu.
3. Select Restore Defaults.
4. Confirm selection to restore defaults

Also, I'd suggest you assign a manual IP address and also disable the IPv6 on the printer. Here are the steps:

•    Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
•    Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
•    Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
•    Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
•    Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
•    Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Refer this article to know more information about wireless connection issues with the printer. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Are you able to print using a USB cable?  Yes, I can print if I connect the USB cable

Are you able to print from other devices? Only if connected with the USB cable.  Not wireless.

Are the printer and computer connected to the same wireless network? Yes, I only have the one network.

Try the steps recommended below.

Restart computer, router and printer together to connect them back to the network. This option did not work.  Still getting the "Can not connect" error.

Also, I'd suggest you assign a manual IP address and also disable the IPv6 on the printer. Here are the steps:

•    Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.  Under IP on the printer screen it says "Not connected".  There is no address so I can't use the rest of these instructions.

I have tried the HP printer assistant on both the desktop that is wired to the router and on the laptop that is connected wireless.  I still keep getting the "Your printer failed to connect to the network" 😞

HP Recommended

Hi! @RueHann,

Thanks for writing back to us.

It sounds like the printer is not connected to the internet, so you have issues printing wirelessly.

Try connecting the printer to the network using the wireless setup wizard. Try the steps recommended below.

The Wireless Setup Wizard, which you run from the printer's control panel. (Not available for printers without a touch display)

Make sure you know your network name and your security password (WEP, WPA, or WPA2).
On the printer's control panel, go to the Network menu or touch the wireless icon and then go to settings. Select Wireless Setup Wizard. The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area.
Note: Settings may be accessed by touching a wrench icon, depending on the product model.

Select your wireless network's name from the list.
If you don't see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters.
Enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase. You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters. Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong.

Lastly, try running HP print and scan doctor on the PC.

Refer this article to know know more information about using HP print and scan doctor. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Those were all the things I tried many times before asking for help here.  It sounds like there isnt a solution.  I will have to quit the ink program because I cant connect wirelessly.  

HP Recommended

@RueHann,

Try restoring the printer network settings to default and connect the printer back to the network using the wireless setup wizard.

1. Press the Wireless button to access the Wireless Status
menu.
2. Press the button next to Settings to access the Wireless
Settings menu.
3. Select Restore Defaults.
4. Confirm selection to restore defaults.

I'll watch your reply!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.