Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Cancelling Instant Ink Contract disables printing

HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cancelled my Instant Ink contract this week while the Smart app reported I had +50% ink in all four cartridges. The following morning my printer reported it will not print because "Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink."

Am I being held hostage? Am I'm denied the use of my printer and the remaining ink in my printer until pay the ransom?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 5
Level 5
293 292 17 34
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The Instant Ink Cartridges are made to work on the Instant Ink printers only when the printer has an active instant ink subscription.

You are billed based on number of pages and not number of cartridges.

Once you cancel the subscription, the cartridges no longer recognize the printer as an Instant ink printer, hence gives this error.

Now if you do not want the Instant Ink subscription then please get a normal set of cartridges from the store and those will work on the printer.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If I go to the shop and buy the cartridges, will I be able to use my printer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5
Level 5
293 292 17 34
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes Certainly, 

If you buy cartridges from store now, you will be able to use them on the printer since you have cancelled the subscription.

Do let me know if you need further assistance and I will be glad to assist you.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation