Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Envy 6200 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy Photo 6255.  Error message says to remove & reinstall color cartridge. Have done so but still message appears. Help! Unable to print !

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mrsh40

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Clean the electrical contacts

The printer might display an ink cartridge error if the ink cartridge contacts are dirty. Unplug any cords or cables, remove the ink cartridges, and then clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartridges and print carriage.

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs or lint-free cloth (eyeglass wipes or coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door.

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door

3. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Disconnect the power cord and any Ethernet or USB cables.

5. Lightly press down on the ink cartridge to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge out of its slot.

Pressing down to remove the ink cartridge

CAUTION: 

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and then clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

6. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Holding the ink cartridge by its sides.

7. Dip a clean foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth into distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

8. Clean only the copper-colored contacts, and then allow the ink cartridge to dry for approximately 10 minutes.

Clean the contacts

9. Lightly moisten another foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the swab or cloth.

10. Use the swab or cloth to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer.

The carriage contacts

11. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab or cloth to dry it.

NOTE: 

Make sure the ink cartridge is not left out of the printer for more than 30 minutes.

12. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the contacts toward the printer, insert the ink cartridge into its slot, and then gently push the ink cartridge until it snaps into place.

Snapping the ink  cartridge into place

13. Repeat these steps to clean and reinsert the other ink cartridge.

14. Close the ink cartridge access door.

15. Reconnect the power cord and any Ethernet or USB cables, unless your printer is connected to a wireless network.

16. Turn on the printer, if it does not turn on automatically.

Try to print. 

If the issue persists try with different ink cartridges.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

No luck after doing all these steps.  Will probably just get a new printer, since the repair would be more than I paid for it originally.

HP Recommended

@mrsh40

This could be a hardware issue with the ink system of the printer.

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

Make sure you select the Country and Region.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.