Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My old 6978 printer died.  I bought a new one and have some ink cartridges left over from my old printer that I need to use up.

I signed up for instantink on the new printer.  There does not appear to be a way for me to tell the printer that I am using old cartridges and that I do not need new cartridges right away.  Also, my page count should not start.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you referring to standard HP Ink cartridges from an old printer or to an HP Instant Ink Cartridges?

If those are HP Instant Ink cartridges, those cannot be used on another printer and need to be returned to HP.

I purchased a replacement printer

HP Instant Ink cartridges that were used in one printer cannot be used in another printer.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c04754134

If those are standard cartridges from any nearby store, you may use those on the new printer only after using the Setup cartridges supplied with your new printer, the Setup cartridges supplied in the box must be used to set up the printer for the first time.

If you replace ALL ink cartridges with standard cartridges you have, any printed page during that time will not count.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you referring to standard HP Ink cartridges from an old printer or to an HP Instant Ink Cartridges?

If those are HP Instant Ink cartridges, those cannot be used on another printer and need to be returned to HP.

I purchased a replacement printer

HP Instant Ink cartridges that were used in one printer cannot be used in another printer.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c04754134

If those are standard cartridges from any nearby store, you may use those on the new printer only after using the Setup cartridges supplied with your new printer, the Setup cartridges supplied in the box must be used to set up the printer for the first time.

If you replace ALL ink cartridges with standard cartridges you have, any printed page during that time will not count.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Yes, they are cartridges from a nearby store.  I will use them up as soon as the setup cartridges run out.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.