Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
ENVY 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, My ENVY 7640 can not connect to web services nor Instant Ink for a few days now ... contacted the support 2 times today and ticket getting closed without sonution is found other than "try again later". Does HP have issues with Web services Server these days ??

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Still waiting for HP support to solve this issue, last agent I had on the phone told me just to "try again later" (hum ... ) after having done simple things like restart the printer or remove the web services from the printer to try to re register it ...

Current situation : no luck ... ENVY 7640 can not connect to web services anymore and I am completely blind on my HP Instant Ink current status grrrrrr

What has been done by myself so far :

1. Printer was connected to Internet provider's router by ethernet cable - got local IP address, was able to check for Firmware upgrades, saying I have the latest one, proving printer is then connected to internet, but tried to Enable Web services, no luck
  2. Printer was connected to Internet provider's router by wifi (blue led stable) - got local IP address, was able to check for Firmware upgrades, saying I have the latest one, proving printer is then connected to internet, but tried to Enable Web services, no luck
  3. Trying to get rid of potential internet provider issue, disconnected the printer from ethernet and wifi from internet's provider router, and connected printer to smartphone 4G wifi shared connection, got local IP address, was able to check for Firmware upgrades, saying I have the latest one, proving printer is then connected to internet, but tried to Enable Web services, no luck

All those manipulations are proving issue has nothing to do with internet's provider whatever, proving that printer CAN connect to internet as it looks for FW upgrades (if I disconnect printer from whatever connection, then it says I have NO internet connection ...), but still can't connect to web services.

According me the issue is location at the inscription of the printer on the web services server ... but how to have HP investigating this and solving this ?

Maybe trying to remove the printer from their servers ... but it is not a level 1 agent who will be able to do that.

I am disappointed now and no real support ...

Issue persists.

HP Recommended

Hi @Delecole,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions -

Restart the computer, printer, and router

To resolve many connectivity issues, restart the computer, printer, and router.

NOTE: 

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections, and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before you continue.

1. Turn off the router by pressing the power button or disconnecting the power cord.
  2. Turn off the printer.
  3. Close all running programs on your computer, and then shut down the computer.
  4. Press the power button or reconnect the power cord to the router, and then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.
  5. Turn on the printer.
  6. Turn on the computer.
  7. Try to turn on Web Services.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Let's disable webservices and re-enable it

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

---> click on webservices and remove webservices and re-enable it

If the issue persists,

Check the Internet proxy server settings

For networks that use proxy servers, update the Web Services settings in the printer EWS with the proxy information.

1. Locate the Internet proxy settings.
    • Windows: Search Windows for Internet, and then click Internet Options in the list of results. On the Internet Properties window, click the Connections tab, select your network, if necessary, and then click Settings.
      The network settings menu displays with the proxy settings
  1. From the EWS, click the Web Services tab, and then click Proxy Settings
  2. Type the Address and Port values for your proxy server connection, and then click Apply.
  3. Try to turn on Web Services.

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases printer updates. Updating the printer firmware might resolve the issue.

Refer -- HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks a lot ... last discussion I had with HP agent today ended by the fact that my printer, HP ENVY 7640, is not compatible anymore with Instant INK .... which I doubt as it is not part of the list of obsolete printers ... 

All basis things were already done (restart the printer, restaure factory settings, try wifi, ethernet, even shared connection using 4G smartphone, remove from HP Web Services) ... several times.

At current printer is not able to connect to Web services anymore, it tells the server is busy or unavailable at the moment, try again later (this is like this for 1 week now ...)

printer says it is with the latest firmware the one I have is :

Version du micrologiciel NSM2CN1449DR Date de compilation 2014-12-02

There was a support web site where obsolete printers was listed, but I can not find it anymore ... but ENVY 7640 was definitely not listed there as obsolete printer !!

EDIT : here it is https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05211712 

What I think at current is either there is an issue in the inscription of my printer on the web services server 

OR

HP injected a wrong firmware on my printer stating now it is obsolete !!

Issue is that I can not update the firmware myself as printer says it is linked to instant ink and firmware update is set to automatic !!

So i am blocked.

Many thanks !

HP Recommended

The printer is not obsolete and is instant ink capable.

Have you tried the above-suggested steps?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Hello Jay,

1. On the "network" wettings, yes, I have done all the steps, even tried the wifi, ethernet, and shared 4G connection from smartphone - printer has internet connection as it can check for firmwares over internet and confirm I have the latest one. If printer is not connected, I get a message that internet is not there.

2. Disable Webservices, e have done that ... but reenabling them is just not possible. it says server is busy or not available.

3. Proxy server I must admit is let empty but this is upon request from my ISP

4. Update firmware, as the printer has Instant ink cartridges installed, it says it is under the Instant Ink program, and I can not update the firmware myself (the option is grayed out in the interface). I have tried to remove the cartridges and downloaded the firmware and tried to install the latest one I found on the HP web site (one from 2020), but I can not install it because the option is also grayed out, I think because the Firmware which has been pushed over by the Instant ink program prevents to install any other firmware.

"The printer is not obsolete and is instant ink capable."  ... thank you for confirming this, but this is the opposite the agent =I had own the line today finally told me after 50 minutes on the phone trying different things with him.

What is needed now is something else than just 1st level of support trying all basic things ... something like checking the inscription of the printer (I provided you the Serial number and my account) on the web services printer, or check the firmware version I should have on that printer now etc ...

Many Thanks for the support though.

HP Recommended

Let's try a reset on the printer and then reconnect it.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

Jay, I am happy with the level of support you provide, as this sequence in the hidden menu was even never proposed to me by the support team I called here in Belgium (called 5 or 6 times, got 3 different agents, last one 50 minutes on the phone), always trying simple level 1 things)-.

I went to the hidden menu and followed the steps, restarted the printer, and for the first time it asked me the region and so on ... like if printer was out of the box ... but unfortunately, I always get the same message that it can't connect to server.

Check of firmware works, though saying I have the "latest" one.

Capture d’écran 2020-12-28 à 19.40.25.png

When I go to HP support web site, I see there is a FW from 2020 :

2022A 67.1 MB

29 juin 2020

... where the FM I have installed now and pushed by the Instant Ink service seems tp be from 2014 :

Version du micrologiciel NSM2CN1449DR Date de compilation 2014-12-02

... would it be wise to look at that area, or look at server side to remove the printer from there ?

I am still convince we should, if possible, remove and re-subscribe the printer on the server side.

Many thanks !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.