Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I used to use instant ink and cancelled last December. I continued to print until the cartridge was blocked. I have now replaced it with a brand new non instant ink cartridge but the printer won't print.

It wants me to connect printer to update HP instant ink status.  Every time I try to, the printer says it is currently being updated and that this may take a few minutes but nothing has happened for hours.  I have tried restoring factory settings, reloaded the drivers, turned off printer and router and restarted.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just realised what was wrong. Even though I changed one cartridge, the other one was still instant ink. What an idiot I am!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Equilibrium1 You may want to turn off the web services to resolve this issue, here's what you need to know about the same:

After turning off Web Services, your printer can no longer communicate over the Internet with the HP server to access web-connected printing services, such as HP ePrint. Turning off Web Services is recommended if you plan to sell your printer, transfer HP Smart accounts, or no longer plan to use web-connected printing services.

If you are currently using web-connected printing services, the following services and features do not work after turning off Web Services:

• HP ePrint email: Disables the HP ePrint printer email address.

• HP Instant Ink: Blocks communication between your printer and HP Instant Ink. Monthly enrollment and billing continues.

• Without Web Services, the HP server cannot communicate with the printer to monitor ink levels. HP Instant Ink cannot send new ink cartridges, and the printer might stop printing. If you enrolled in the HP Instant Ink service, you need to cancel your HP Instant Ink service separately. Go to How to Cancel Your HP Instant Ink Plan.

• To continue using your HP Instant Ink service, turn on Web Services, and then follow the instructions on the info page to add your printer to HP Connected.

• Print Anywhere: Disables the Print Anywhere feature.

• HP Printer Apps: Disables all HP Printer Apps.

Read the section that matches your printer control panel type for steps to turn off Web Services.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SCROLL DOWN TO SELECT YOUR PRINTER TYPE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've turned off web services but every time I try to print, the printer says "Cannot print. Connect printer to update HP Instant Ink status." So, I press connect and accept T&Cs. The printer reconnects with web services then displays "Cannot print. Connect printer to update HP Instant Ink status."  This time, when I press connect the printer says "The printer is being updated. The process might take several minutes." But nothing happens.

HP Recommended

@Equilibrium1 Could you share a picture of the Ink cartridges in use, so we know exactly what we are dealing with?

The fate of our journey towards a solution depends on it.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just realised what was wrong. Even though I changed one cartridge, the other one was still instant ink. What an idiot I am!!

HP Recommended

@Equilibrium1 It's alright, happens to the best of us, don't be too hard on yourself,

And the reason I wanted the picture is to confirm the cartridges in use, so I guess that helped! 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.