Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP 4630 Office Jet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP 4630 has been retired from 'active' use.  Want to only use to make copies

Error Message:

"Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled in HP Instant Ink."

Recently removed from Instant Ink Program, as replaced by a new printer

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @LainieGoddard

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Make sure you are not using any Instant Ink cartridges in the printer.
  • Once the printer is removed from the Instant Ink program, the Instant Ink cartridges will not work.
  • You may use regular HP ink cartridges.

Your Instant Ink account page will have notifications if there are any issues with the account, it will even provide solutions on how to fix the issue. You may log in to your HP Instant Ink account page from here.

If you are using HP regular ink cartridges and still having the error, kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response.  

I am hoping (especially since we are not supposed to go anywhere) that HP will allow me to use up the remainder of my ink.  I have a remaining two cartridges left, and the reason I have two is that about a year ago, there was a mix-up and I had to purchase my own ink (it was during tax-time and I use alot of ink)    If you insist, I am sure I can dig through all my receipts to find it for you.

Please do not  make me go to the office supply store!  (please note, I did replace my old printer with a new one, so I am still using HP ink - would never do anything else)

Lainie

HP Recommended

@LainieGoddard

I understand your concern. You can use the HP instant ink cartridges for this billing cycle to print. After which using the Instant Ink cartridges will not help.

You may access your HP Instant Ink account page from here to check the billing date.

You may use the regular HP ink cartridges that you have to continue printing.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the ink cartridge still does not work.

Note:  the printer is only plugged in to power, not connected to wifi etc.  Printer will only be used for making copies.

Thank you

HP Recommended

In addition - I do not have any ink cartridges that were purchased 'outside of my HP Instant Ink' account

HP Recommended

@LainieGoddard

As you are using the Instant Ink cartridges to make copies, the printer should be connected to the Internet. If not, you will not be able to print.

If you wish not to connect the printer to the Internet/Wifi network, you may use the regular ink cartridges instead of Instant Ink cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar - Thank you for your response.  

I know that is what the problem is.  

However, in light of recent world events (and the request for people to stay at home) I am requesting that I be allowed to use up the rest of the cartridge, rather than having me go to the store (around people) .  

This does three things - keeps me at home, does not waste the rest of the cartridge and allows me to print flyers for a seniors complex about the volunteer group on site to give assistance to those who are in need of food, medication or medical supplies.

The socially responsible thing to do would be to allow me to use up the printer cartridge.

Thank you

Lainie Goddard

Volunteer Chair

Fernridge Park 

Seniors' Emergency Preparedness Committee

Emergency Response Team

Langley, BC

HP Recommended

@LainieGoddard, that's unfortunate.

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for further assistance:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar - are you kidding me?  You were of no help whatsoever, other than to tell me I couldn't use the 1/2 used cartridge.  I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in your emails that just wound in circles.  I have been a loyal customer for as long as this service has been available in Canada, am on my second printer, and once the pandemic is over, will be purchasing my third.  As long as it took us to correspond, I could have been down to Staples and back.  I just wasted time and now I will waste money going to purchase a cartridge.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.