Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just noticed that my printer isn't connecting to HP Instant Ink.  I have no idea how long this has been going on for.  I have a sonicwall firewall between my router and my printer that the printer seems to be having trouble getting through?  I also have a basic firewall w/ UPNP disabled on my router.  I tried doing a packet capture on the sonicwall while the printer tried to reconnect to HP Instant Ink.  I mostly saw a bunch of LLC packets getting dropped by the firewall.  On the first reconnection attempt I saw a UDP broadcast going to port 123 I think it was?  But then on subsequent reconnection attempts I didn't see any IP packets at all in the packet monitor.  This used to work just fine.  I didn't make any changes to the firewall's forwarding or anything so I don't see why its not working.  I tightened up security on the router recently but when I changed it back the printer was still failing to connect.  As I mentioned, I'm not sure how long this has been going on for.  

I did some web searches and couldn't find any list of port #s that I need to forward to enable HP Instant Ink.  I tried pulling up the printer's web interface and couldn't find anything there either.  It shows that its not connected to HP Instant Ink but I couldn't figure out anything more.

What ports need to be forwarded to the printer through the firewall?  

The printer is connecting to the network through a wireless router that has a mac filter in place but its connecting to the wireless just fine and printing locally just fine.  I need to get Instant Ink working again though!  Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ebola0, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Check the connectivity between the printer and the PC

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to Tools and print a Test page.

Note: If you are able to access the EWS page of the printer on your browser, it means the connectivity is fine.

Also, go to your Instant Ink account page and check for any errors.

If the firewall is blocking the printer, you will have to set an exception for the printer or the printer's IP address. Contact your System administrator or Firewall support to know how.

If MAC filtering is enabled in your router, make sure the printer is in the 'Allowed' list.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.