Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am so frustrated.  I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620 and I don't know if it was with the recent Windows 10 update, but suddenly I had to constantly hit Connect on the panel of my printer and my laptop.  Then just kept prompting me to Connect to HP Connect, but I could not do it.  I tried unplugging, shutting down, running HP doctor, nothing, then I tried  reinstalling multiple times, trying to connect it via wire connection to my ethernet rather than wired.  Help!

I have cancelled my HP Instant ink - worked so well but after three weeks I'm fried.  About ready just to buy a new Canon printer and be done with it all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not all that technical, so pinging and etc I don't know about.  If anyone has clear, easy to understand directions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LoriR2 

It sounds like you have lost your Web Services connection.

HP Connected - Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

HP Connected

Examples

Troubleshooting > Open  Cannot Connect to Web Services

How to > Printer Setup, Installation & Updates > Turning On Web Services

Now, if you cannot open the connection to the Embedded Web Server (EWS), you have bigger problems - for example, the printer may no longer be on your network.  The types of "tried this and that" steps you mention are the types of things that should have helped get the printer back onto the network.

Remember that having the printer on your personal network is not the same thing as having the printer connected to the Internet (Web Services).  Although it sounds similar (or may even sound like the same thing) just having the printer on your local network (wireless or wired) is a different animal than having that printer actually able to talk to the Internet (Web Services).

Once you understand that difference, it may not help you fix the problem - it does narrow down what can be going on and what you can do to fix the connection.

Examples of Web Services in EWS

9025_EWS_Web_Services_Print-Apps_19025_EWS_Web_Services_Print-Apps_1EWS_8740_Web_Services_1EWS_8740_Web_Services_1EWS_8630_Web-Services_1EWS_8630_Web-Services_1

There is a final "possible" in the long list of stuff that can be broken:  Web Services might be perfectly fine on your side and the actual server to which the service connects (way out on the Internet) might be the culprit.  This sort of "break in service" usually only happens occasionally and the service usually recovers in a (not always) reasonable amount of time.  I would think a couple of days is sufficient - there are many, many servers handling the traffic and it is possible that "something" stopped working as expected. 

Disclaimer:

Understand that my ramblings on the subject are personal opinions and do NOT reflect Hp policy or statements of service.

Continued...

If you cannot get Web Services to well, do "web services", consider asking Cloud Services for help.

HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

The last time I checked - this was the number for Cloud Services here in the USA...

USA or Canada, call Cloud Services: 1-855-785-2777

Monday to Saturday 8 a.m. ET – 11 p.m. ET and Sunday 10 a.m. ET - 7 p.m. ET

References

User Guide

Read >> Chapter 6 - Web Services - starting on Page 87

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LoriR2 

It sounds like you have lost your Web Services connection.

HP Connected - Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

HP Connected

Examples

Troubleshooting > Open  Cannot Connect to Web Services

How to > Printer Setup, Installation & Updates > Turning On Web Services

Now, if you cannot open the connection to the Embedded Web Server (EWS), you have bigger problems - for example, the printer may no longer be on your network.  The types of "tried this and that" steps you mention are the types of things that should have helped get the printer back onto the network.

Remember that having the printer on your personal network is not the same thing as having the printer connected to the Internet (Web Services).  Although it sounds similar (or may even sound like the same thing) just having the printer on your local network (wireless or wired) is a different animal than having that printer actually able to talk to the Internet (Web Services).

Once you understand that difference, it may not help you fix the problem - it does narrow down what can be going on and what you can do to fix the connection.

Examples of Web Services in EWS

9025_EWS_Web_Services_Print-Apps_19025_EWS_Web_Services_Print-Apps_1EWS_8740_Web_Services_1EWS_8740_Web_Services_1EWS_8630_Web-Services_1EWS_8630_Web-Services_1

There is a final "possible" in the long list of stuff that can be broken:  Web Services might be perfectly fine on your side and the actual server to which the service connects (way out on the Internet) might be the culprit.  This sort of "break in service" usually only happens occasionally and the service usually recovers in a (not always) reasonable amount of time.  I would think a couple of days is sufficient - there are many, many servers handling the traffic and it is possible that "something" stopped working as expected. 

Disclaimer:

Understand that my ramblings on the subject are personal opinions and do NOT reflect Hp policy or statements of service.

Continued...

If you cannot get Web Services to well, do "web services", consider asking Cloud Services for help.

HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

The last time I checked - this was the number for Cloud Services here in the USA...

USA or Canada, call Cloud Services: 1-855-785-2777

Monday to Saturday 8 a.m. ET – 11 p.m. ET and Sunday 10 a.m. ET - 7 p.m. ET

References

User Guide

Read >> Chapter 6 - Web Services - starting on Page 87

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon-Fur for so clearly explaining things to me.  I greatly appreciate that. Especially explaining the difference between my computer and printer are talking to each other vs my printer can access the internet independently  - which is can not.

We recently had to switch modems/routers and while I did put in all the internet passwords there was something that my internet provider had to do on their end. Because of your thorough explanation between the two situations when I called our provider he knew what to change on his end.

So looks like I have internet e-print address, when I click on my printer icon shows up in my network, but wants a network security key - Thankfully able to find that.  I hope have not inadvertently created another account  looks like the printers email address is different than my original one was and the claim code is different.  If I can get it to work I just want my old account through instant ink.

I had canceled my Instant Ink because of the frustration with this issue - I think it ends 11/16...I hope I can get this squared around.

I so appreciate your thoroughness.  I didn't grow up with computers and learned by the seat of my pants - so I truly appreciate the detailed information.

HP Recommended

@LoriR2 

You are welcome.

Glad it is fixed - as much as can be done on this end, at least.

I will ask that an Instant Ink agent take a look at the concern about your Instant Ink contract.

An agent can help you with the actual contract - wanted or not wanted - and can establish what needs to be done going forward with Instant Ink.

Should there be an agent response, he / she will post back here before anyone contacts you using other means.

Website > Help, Information, How-to:  HP Instant Ink

Click Thumbs Up say Thank You to the Post author!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well after all of that rigamoral - did a print test and found out the printheads are shot.  Geez whiz - now off looking at different printers!

HP Recommended

@LoriR2 

Well, rats.  Bad timing, that. 🐀

Personal Observation

After years of almost perfect service, I recently retired my (still working) Officejet Pro 8630 - very nice printer and similar in many ways to your 8620 model.  I really liked my 8630.  Smiling.  The only printer I liked even better in this general price and option range (while they were available):  HP Officejet Pro 8740 - I was fortunate enough to have an 8740 as a loaner for a year.  Nice features, workhorse printer, and solid service.

The 8630 / 8620 series is indeed aging; when the printer suffers certain hardware failures, it is time to search for a new printer.

I have replaced the trusty 8630 (and necessarily the loaner 8740) with a new HP Officejet Pro 9025 - the new printer supports all the bells and whistles featured in the 8630 plus a couple of really nice options, including "single pass duplex" print / scan, auto detect boundaries (for scanning documents / images), and OCR included in the printer software.

Like the Officejet Pro 8630 (and your 8620), the 9025 is a higher end printer; the price reflects both the expected quality, features, and built-in options (like digital filing). 

If your budget allows it, you might consider either the HP Officejet Pro 9025 or a similar grade replacement.

Keep in mind that my observations are all of a personal nature - I have absolutely no affiliation with HP Sales nor do I receive any benefits for sharing my experiences or opinions.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.