Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP8720
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Since the most recent firmware update I am having problems printing via Wifi. The printer has worked flawlessly for months since it was purchased and I connected it to my network.

Symptom is that the Laptop informs me the printer is busy.

Removing the printer from "Printers and Scanners" and attempting to re-add it results in the printer not being visible to the network.

Turning the printer off and on via the power button has no effect

Unplugging the printer from the power, waiting and plugging back in resolves the issue, until it re-occurs - minutes, hours or days.

Also, after the full restart, the printer becomes visible to "Printers and Scanners" when re-adding.

The printer has been working flawlessly until the recent firmware update.

I am using original cartridges

Nothing has changed in the network.

The only change has been the firmware update.

I need a way to undo the firmware update (forced on me due to instant ink) or urgently replace the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in responding to the mDNS question, had to get back home to verify, it was set.

I've already connected the printer directly to the router eliminating the Unifi from the equation and the problem has gone away.

So whatever was in the recent printer firmware update wasn't appreciated by the Unifi routers. Rather than you wasting more time on it, happy to mark as resolved. 

Thanks for your assistance.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Some screenshots which demonstrate the issue.

First one is status of printer after a period of no use:

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 12.31.05.png

2nd image is after I turn the printer off and on (nothing else). It's as if the printer sleeps and doesn't reconnect .

Screenshot 2019-05-29 at 12.32.23.png

HP Recommended

@Anduain,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Please provide the below information to assist you with an accurate resolution.

• The WiFi router that you have is that a dual-band router(Router that has both 2.4GHz and a 5Ghz network)?
    • If yes, the names of the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz networks are they the same or are they different?
  • Do you have any WiFi extenders?
  • Are there any security software or antivirus installed on your MAC?

Check the following: 

1. Verify if the printer and the MAC are connected to the same network while adding the printer.

• On the printer control panel touch the icon
  • Check the network name to which the printer is connected
  • Check if the MAC is connected to the same network as the printer.

• On the MAC click on the WiFi symbol and check the network name to confirm the network before adding.

• Ensure MAC and the printer are on the same network
  • Try to add the printer again

2. Update the printer firmware(Ignore if already done)

The current firmware version available for the printer HP Officejet Pro 8720 is 1919B. Does the printer have the same version? Click on this link to get more info on this.

Check if you have a newer update available for the printer and update it.

Also, once the firmware is updated, it is not possible to undo the update.

3. Router Compatibility & configuration

This printer model is compatible with the 2.4GHz network and may not work with the 5GHz network.

If you have a dual-band router with the same name for both the networks, then there could be connectivity issues.

If this is the case, then you can differentiate the 2 networks by providing them separate names and connecting the printer only to the 2.4Ghz network.

This would improve connectivity.

Also, Apple devices use bonjour packets for communication within a network. If this service(mDNS) to forward the bonjour packets is not enabled on the router, then it can also cause connectivity issues.

Please ensure the mDNS/forwarding bonjour packets feature is enabled.

Let me know if this information helps or if you need any further assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the complete response, answers inline below.

Please provide the below information to assist you with an accurate resolution.

• The WiFi router that you have is that a dual-band router(Router that has both 2.4GHz and a 5Ghz network)?
    • If yes, the names of the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz networks are they the same or are they different?

The printer is not compatible with 5Ghz network and is, and always has been, connected to a 2.4Ghz one.

• Do you have any WiFi extenders?

Yes, Ubiquiti Unifi

• Are there any security software or antivirus installed on your MAC?

No

Check the following: 

1. Verify if the printer and the MAC are connected to the same network while adding the printer.

• On the printer control panel touch the icon
  • Check the network name to which the printer is connected
  • Check if the MAC is connected to the same network as the printer.

• On the MAC click on the WiFi symbol and check the network name to confirm the network before adding.

• Ensure MAC and the printer are on the same network
  • Try to add the printer again

So yes, on the same Wifi, in fact have been since I bought the printer. As I mentioned this problem only started when the latest Firmware was installed due to Insta-Ink.

2. Update the printer firmware(Ignore if already done)

The current firmware version available for the printer HP Officejet Pro 8720 is 1919B. Does the printer have the same version? Click on this link to get more info on this.

Check if you have a newer update available for the printer and update it.

Also, once the firmware is updated, it is not possible to undo the update.

See above, this is what has caused the probs.

3. Router Compatibility & configuration

This printer model is compatible with the 2.4GHz network and may not work with the 5GHz network.

It doesn't!

If you have a dual-band router with the same name for both the networks, then there could be connectivity issues.

No, my network is segmented correctly and the printer is always connected to 2.4 (it doesnt even see 5 anyway)

Plus, as I said in my notes, the problem is resolved by unplugging then reconnecting the printer to power.

If this is the case, then you can differentiate the 2 networks by providing them separate names and connecting the printer only to the 2.4Ghz network.

This would improve connectivity.

Also, Apple devices use bonjour packets for communication within a network. If this service(mDNS) to forward the bonjour packets is not enabled on the router, then it can also cause connectivity issues.

Please ensure the mDNS/forwarding bonjour packets feature is enabled.

As I say, restarting the printer resolves the problems temporarily.

I have a workaround which is physically connecting the printer to the router until I can figure out the problem, or new firmware arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions!

HP Recommended

@Anduain,

You can try these steps: 

1. As suggested before, check if the mDNS feature is enabled. If this feature is disabled then the connectivity would be intermittent.

Check if the same is enabled on the Router.

2. Also, check if there is a firmware update available for the Router and update it.

3. Try connecting the printer to the main router instead of the WiFi extender and check if the printer remains connected.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in responding to the mDNS question, had to get back home to verify, it was set.

I've already connected the printer directly to the router eliminating the Unifi from the equation and the problem has gone away.

So whatever was in the recent printer firmware update wasn't appreciated by the Unifi routers. Rather than you wasting more time on it, happy to mark as resolved. 

Thanks for your assistance.

HP Recommended

@Anduain,

Please feel free to reach us back if need any further assistance.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My HP Laserjet M1217 nfw MFP doesn't recognize my router now

HP Recommended

can ;t get by the Virtual Agent to get answers I need

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.