Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP 62 cartridge
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't do the instant ink program, but I had to use this category because this form doesn't have a category for ink purchased at the store which is where I got mine.   I opened a new color cartridge yesterday and it won't work in my 5740 office jet. I get the same message I am seeing others got which is   "remove and reinstall indicated cartridge making sure it is correctly installed".  The old one works and another new one that I just bought today works, but not the one I opened yesterday.   It had been too long since I bought it and the store wouldn't take it back.  Can I send this thing into HP and get a replacement or my money back?   I have the receipt. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bmarrs51

Welcome to the HP support community.

Clean the electrical contacts

1. Turn the printer on.

2. Open the door to access the cartridges.

3. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

4. Remove the cartridge indicated in the error message from its slot, holding it by its side.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

5. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch or try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Remove the plastic tape and do not touch the contacts or ink nozzles

6. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then clean only the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge.

Cleaning the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge

7. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer.

The carriage contacts

8. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry.

9. Reinsert the cartridge.

• Insert the black cartridge into the right slot.

• Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.

10. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge, if necessary.

11. Close the cartridge access door.

12. If the error persists, repeat the previous steps to clean the cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

13. Check for the error message.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried your suggestion and it did not help.  I get the same message on the printer. The old cartridge works and and a new one works - just not the one I am complaining about.  I'd like to send this to HP so they can look at it in a lab and verify that it is defective.  In fact I would think that if this one was defective, so was all of them in a certain batch.  I would think you would want a bar code number or something so you could verify that possibility when you get a bunch complaints. 

Also, the fact that HP doesn't have a place to just send a form mail but makes us create a log in and report on a forum just to ask a question like this is crazy.   And even that process wasn't obvious.  One just has to bumble through this website to figure out how to report something. 

HP Recommended

@bmarrs51

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.