Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

I am just trying to find out what to do with the Unopened and never used Ink cartridges from Staples. I no longer have a HP Printer and I no longer have a Instant Ink account.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@zairbeth 

Welcome to the HP Community.

Instant Ink cartridges do remain the property of HP.

If you have - or can get - the free return envelope from HP, you can return the unused Instant Ink cartridges to HP for proper disposal.

Note that Instant Ink cartridges cannot be used in any printer after the subscription is terminated.

No, HP is not going to chase you down for the cartridges...

Sustainability – Business Systems / Devices - Recycle

HP collects used products for resale and recycling in 73 countries and territories worldwide

Click Recycle Now box (upper right of webpage)  OR Scroll down on the webpage for locations / options

OR

If you have a Staples store - or other office supply store - nearby, see if they have a "drop-off" box for unwanted cartridges.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

That does not tell me what to do with cartridges that are usable since they have not be opened. I find it wasteful to destory 2 cartridges that have never been opened.  Are you trying to say that is all I can do with them?

HP Recommended

@zairbeth 

@zairbeth wrote:

That does not tell me what to do with cartridges that are usable since they have not be opened. I find it wasteful to destroy 2 cartridges that have never been opened.  Are you trying to say that is all I can do with them?

You are welcome.

Yes, that is essentially what I am saying: 

Send the cartridges back to HP

OR

If you cannot manage to do so for any reason:  Dispose / recycle the cartridges at a local drop-off store / recycling center

The Instant Ink cartridges - if you send them back to HP - will be properly disposed / recycled / handled.

Are unopened packages treated differently?  No idea.  

Instant Ink Support might be able to provide you with more information.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I will check with HP Support next. Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.