Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Hp officejet pro 8710

I want to print but I don't want the service. Can I buy off brand cartridges to use that aren't hp

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Chaveezy2440 

@Chaveezy2440 wrote:

1.  I want to print but I don't want the service.

2.  Can I buy off brand cartridges to use that aren't hp

Edits - Clarify - Instant Ink Ready Cartridges

These are two entirely different questions.

Answers

1.  Instant Ink Subscription is NOT mandatory.

You do NOT have to sign up for Instant Ink service.

Just say no where ever asked.

Instant Ink Ready Cartridges

If printer has "Instant Ink Ready" cartridges, these can be used without signing up for the service.

Notice the word "Ready" - these cartridges can be used with Instant Ink but Instant Ink service is not required.

2.  The Printer might refuse to use Non-HP ink.

You should purchase and use HP brand Ink in this printer.

HP Officejet Pro 8710/8720 Firmware Update

Description:

This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Enhancement/Fixes for more detail about the firmware update.

Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at: www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

Note: For printers manufactured prior to December 1, 2016 dynamic security will not be enabled by this firmware. Please note that HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges.

Fix and enhancements:

• Resolves error message when configuring certain settings in the embedded web server.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.