Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Envy 5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

On Feb 21,2020 I installed my first Instant Ink cartridges into my printer after my regular cartridges ran out. Unfortunately the cartridges installed produced abysmal results with the colors incoherent in the test prints (and alignment prints) as well as smearing or gaps with the black ink cartridge.  The printer was connected, and my Instant Ink profile confirmed the same and the installation of the cartridges, so please dont respond in troubleshooting that. That is not the issue.

The issue, is I have ordered regular ink, and the billing cycle as per my cancellation cycle ends on March 19th. Can I use a standard ink cartridge before the billing cycle end after cancellation or will the printer create issues for me to do so?

Note: I swear if anyone from HP says that I can use my Instant Ink cartridges until the end of the billing cycle, I will stop using any HP product in the future, and promote the same. The cartridges didnt work (damaged etc) so stop promoting them as the solution to the end of the cycle.  I got the same silly comment from HP when I cancelled indicating damaged cartridges. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You can use standard cartridges, but to avoid having the pages you print count toward the monthly allotment you will need to replace both the black and color cartridges.  If either cartridge in the printer is an Instant Ink cartridge the pages printed will count toward your monthly usage.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Thx for your help. The standar ink cartridge works but I get an annoying message to "Connect to update status of ink" before it will print. I can click either, "Connect" or "Ok" and then it will start printing. Really annoying when I'm trying to print wirelessly to collect something from the printer (i.e. from another room). As you have to initiate the printing in person.

If I click Conenct, then the conenction always fail. Do you know how I can tell my printer that it has no relation to HP Instant Ink anymore, so it stops asking the question everytime?

HP Recommended

@Envy5K_User If you no longer have a subscriptions with the HP instant Ink, here's a list of steps that should help you get through this situations, once and for all,

the steps may get lengthy and tricky, however, we'll be here if you need us, here we go:

You may want to turn off the web services to resolve this issue, here's what you need to know about the same:

After turning off Web Services, your printer can no longer communicate over the Internet with the HP server to access web-connected printing services, such as HP ePrint. Turning off Web Services is recommended if you plan to sell your printer, transfer HP Smart accounts, or no longer plan to use web-connected printing services.

If you are currently using web-connected printing services, the following services and features do not work after turning off Web Services:

• HP ePrint email: Disables the HP ePrint printer email address.

• HP Instant Ink: Blocks communication between your printer and HP Instant Ink. Monthly enrollment and billing continues.

• Without Web Services, the HP server cannot communicate with the printer to monitor ink levels. HP Instant Ink cannot send new ink cartridges, and the printer might stop printing. If you enrolled in the HP Instant Ink service, you need to cancel your HP Instant Ink service separately. Go to How to Cancel Your HP Instant Ink Plan.

• To continue using your HP Instant Ink service, turn on Web Services, and then follow the instructions on the info page to add your printer to HP Connected.

• Print Anywhere: Disables the Print Anywhere feature.

• HP Printer Apps: Disables all HP Printer Apps.

Read the section that matches your printer control panel type for steps to turn off Web Services.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SCROLL DOWN TO SELECT YOUR PRINTER TYPE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've turned web services off (if I go back to it, it indicates a setup wizard which means the web services were removed)

But

It keeps asking "Connect Printer to update HP Instant Ink status", regardless.

I restarted the printer, made sure all the settings were still off and still the same.

Will HP replace the printer if this can't be corrected? That will show responsibility and accountability from your side. If not, I need the correct contact information to make an official complaint. 

This inconvenience is clearly due to a problem with your instant ink service as a whole. Damaged cartridges, lax response to official complaints and now a non optimal printer which was fine before all of this?

I do appreciate your help, but from your message below there was no gurantee this will work and seems like a compromise rather than the right way it should function.  Let's go for an additional trouble-shooting step but after that I would expect HP to act appropriately to a printer they damaged.

HP Recommended

@Envy5K_User Please ensure you aren't using any HP Instant Ink cartridges, because if you do, you may be getting this error,

If you've disabled or cancelled the subscription, make use of regular cartridges,

If the issue persists, respond to my private message to check if your account has been disabled, from the back end.

Stand by for updates!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'll re-iterate one last time as this has been covered in the previous threads:

- Instant Ink Cartridge subscription started with "damaged cartridges". i.e. I'm not using them.

-I installed normal cartridges in the printer 

-The HP instant ink billing cycle has ended (Account is closed)

-The message appears as explained on the printer after each print. It doesnt matter if I hit "Connect" or "Ok" and the printer will print what is in the Q. As I mentioned it is annoying when trying to print wirelessly thru wifi to the printer. It kills the benefit. After printing, if I had selected "Connect" before, the printer asks again to connect to Web Services and I would ignore it.

This time around, I asked it to Connect web services again, and it validated that the Instant Ink subscription is not valid anymore. So far this morning it has stopped asking or popping a dialogue box when I print, and is working normally. I will let you know if this changes.

HP Recommended

@Envy5K_User That's good news, please observe the device for a few days and get back to us anytime, 

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.