Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-16-2022 01:07 PM - last edited on 10-16-2022 02:48 PM by MayS
i just installed new ink cartridges for both color and black that came from HP in the instant ink program. My printer keeps saying they are incompatible. I tried unplugging / plugging back in, the safety tape is off, I have taken each cartridge out and reinserted.
Any advice on what else to do?
10-19-2022 05:09 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd like to help.
I understand you are facing an Ink Cartridge issue with your HP Printer. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.
To assist better:
- Was there any recent update on the printer prior to the issue?
While you respond to that, Let's perform a power drain:
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Remove USB cable, if present.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes, and press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
- Now plug back the power cable straight into a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
- Turn on the printer and wait till the warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle
Update the printer firmware
- Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your product
- Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.
If the issue persists, then please follow the steps mentioned in this document: HP Inkjet printers - Ink cartridge errors
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
10-20-2022 06:36 AM
As we did not hear from you, I'll be closing this case for now. Hope I was able to fix the issue. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us.
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers and did reply to you!
I am an HP Employee
11-04-2022 08:40 AM
Hello! I apologize for the delayed reply. Somehow your first message was missed! To answer your question, I don’t know if there were any updates on the printer. I think I have it set up to update automatically. Is there a way to find out when the last update was?
Also, should I do the power drain with the old cartridges in, no cartridges, or the new ones that give the error message?
I appreciate your help on this.
11-04-2022 08:52 AM
Update: I found that my hp office jet has been updated to the most current software, but neither the app or the printer itself say when the updates occurred.
I’ll try the power drain with the old cartridges still installed and see if that works!