Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP Officejet 3830 All-In-One printer.  I ordered new ink cartridges from Amazon:1 - HP63 Tri color and one HP63 Black cartridge.  After they were installed, it appeared when the alignment sheet that printed was correct.  However the first project that printed had NO color in it, I tried printing something different that had a little color in it, and it also had no color on it.

These were the 2nd group of cartridges I have ordered from Amazon, and they are INDEED HP cartridges and what I have always used.  The first ones I ordered I thought it was just labeled incorrectly, so notified Amazon, and they agreed to send me two more, after I installed the new ones...I found the new TRI COLOR is not working either.  I removed it and RE-installed it thinking maybe I hadn't installed it correctly. That didn't work either.  I am attaching the photo from the panel of my printer, showing a view of the installed cartridges, NORMALLY the photo of the TRI color (when it's working) shows 3 colors, as you can see in the photo, they are both black.  ink levels..both showing BLACK INKink levels..both showing BLACK INK would appreciate any advice you can give me.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Sunshinejudi, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone color copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

For now, let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Clean the ink cartridges

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic page

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

3. Check for color.

Note: The ink levels on the printer is displayed in black for both the ink cartridges as shown in step 6 in this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.