Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5020
Other

My printer is a HP Envy 5020 and I urgently need to print.  Any ideas please I would be extremely grateful.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@HomeEddie, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below to isolate the issue-

Step 1: Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer failures.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

5. Turn the printer on.

If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Clean the electrical contacts

Remove the ink cartridge indicated by the error message, clean the electrical contacts, and then reinsert the ink cartridge in its color-coded slot.

1. Turn the printer on.

2. Open the door to access the ink cartridges.

3. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

4. Remove the ink cartridge indicated in the error message from its slot, holding it by its side.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

5. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch or try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Remove the plastic tape and do not touch the contacts or ink nozzles

6. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then clean only the copper-colored contacts on the ink cartridge.

Cleaning the copper-colored contacts on the ink cartridge

7. Lightly dampen a lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer.

The carriage contacts

8. Wait 10 minutes for the contacts to dry.

9. Reinsert the ink cartridge.

• Insert the black ink cartridge into the right slot.

• Insert the tri-color ink cartridge into the left slot.

10. Repeat these steps for the other ink cartridge, if necessary.

11. Close the ink cartridge access door.

12. If the error persists, repeat the previous steps to clean the ink cartridge and carriage contacts a second time.

13. Check for the error message.

To assist you better, We would need some information related to your Instant Ink Subscription. This information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with your details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.