Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP 8600 Printer
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I installed a new out of box 950XL cartridge from HP into my HP 8600 all in one printer and an error that the cartridge is not compatible displays.  I have only purchased authentic HP products.  What is going on?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Doc_molar

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print due to an ink cartridge error. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Which ink cartridge shows as defective?

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Perform step 3 mentioned in this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is a 950XL black cartridge I have tried 2 different ones right out of the box.  Neither of them work.

HP Recommended

@Doc_molar, thank you for the response.

If you have tried 2 new black ink cartridges, the steps provided, and the issue persists, I'm afraid this could be a hardware issue with the printer.

Since the printer is out of warranty, I would suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit HP Store to check for available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the above steps including step 3 in the document.  When I replace the depleted black cartridge this is the error message I get "The Following cartridges are not intended for use in this printer."  What should I try next?

HP Recommended

@Doc_molar, thank you for the response.

If the printer and the ink cartridges are bought in the same region and if you have tried the provided steps and the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTION AND STILL SHOWS 

DEPLETED CARTRIDGE

HP Recommended

Why does it matter where I purchased the ink cartridge?  They are authentic HP cartridges.  Is it a hardware issue or an ink cartridge issue?  I tried the link you provided and it says the warranty has expired and I cannot do anything further.  Is this something you can resolve or do I just need to throw out the printer because the ink cartridge doesn't work?

HP Recommended

@Doc_molar, I understand your concern. You have already tried 2 new ink cartridges. I suppose this is an issue with the printer.

Upgrading the printer would be a better choice.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.