cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
dbwriting
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

My Laserjet M203 warns I'm out of ink

HP Recommended
Elnspiron 3847e:
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer constantly tells me that I need ink. And I do not. The message blocks my screen so that I have to wait until it decides to go away to continue my work. I need help. I do NOT want to order ink now or ever.

3 REPLIES 3
TEJ1602
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,899 18,877 1,559 1,554
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dbwriting, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I'd recommend you follow the steps from the document  'Install Black Cartridge' Displays and 'Toner Low' Message to isolate and resolve the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dbwriting
Author
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had already read and tried the links you sent. My computer shows two cartridges  installed although there's only one in the machine. The old one I removed was indeed empty. It was the FIRST cartridge that came with the printer. The second one is also an HP cartridge, but a large one. The printer works just fine and shows plenty of ink in that cartridge. No problems with printing. It's just annoyance of the message in the lower right corner that pops up every time I print. I often have to wait for the message to finally go away before I can access a button or link in the lower right corner. I'm trying to put together a shutterfly book and it's a CONSTANT ANNOYANCE. 

I obviously don't know how to explain it well, but it needs to go away. It's been going on for MONTHS. I've shut down hoping that would help, but it doesn't. I can see the old, removed empty cartridge along with my current working cartridge (each HP) when I go to view in Settings my printer, but there's no place to remove the old one. Also, HP's box in the lower right corner of my screen insists I need to reorder (because of the empty cartridge I removed months ago), It will not go away. I have to wait to continue my work until it finally goes away. It comes up everytime I print. I'm about ready to throw out my relatively new HP printer. I've never looked at any other brand, but I'm getting close. I also have another friend with this problem.

The problem is not the ink or the printer. It's the software showing two cartridges and insisting I replace one. My printer only holds one cartridge...at least as far as I can figure out.

0 Kudos
TEJ1602
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,899 18,877 1,559 1,554
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dbwriting

Thanks for replying!

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation