Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8710
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 2.35.59 PM.png

Occasionally my printer will print out documents depicting content with a shadowed and overlapping effect. Here is a visual example of my issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jlan97

I have sent a private message with the reset instructions. Kindly check the same.

Once the printer is reset, the printer will no longer be enrolled in Instant Ink, you will have to re-enroll the printer.

All the settings on the printer will be reset to factory defaults.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @jlan97

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word, or Webpages and check if the issue persists?
  • Try making a standalone copy and check if the issue persists. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.
  • How is the printer connected to the MAC?
  • Have you tried printing from any other device?

For now, let us try these steps:

Update the printer firmware

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Printer maintenance > Update the printer > Check now

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

Thank you for your effort in helping me resolve this issue. Before providing answers to your questions which are listed below, I want to inform you that both the printer and Mac are running their latest software updates. In fact, I just upgraded from a MacBook Pro to an iMac as of yesterday, but I'm still having the same problem with my printer. This is only a minor issue because the printer will print one page in that distorted format, but consecutive pages will print out normally if printed in a short period of time. If the printer is not in use for let's say a week, and I decide to print something out one week later, the cycle restarts--the first page that prints out will have that distorted effect. I just don't like having to waste paper, especially since I'm on an HP Instant Ink plan. 

• I print using multiple applications, but mainly from Chrome and Microsoft Word.
  • The same issue is persistent with any form of document. Last week, I printed out a cooking recipe off Google Chrome and the first page of the recipe was distorted. Yesterday, with my new iMac connected to the printer via USB, I printed out a form that was in PDF format; the same issue occurred.
  • I don't make standalone copies very often and therefore, don't recall if any standalone copies I have made in the past printed out like that. 
  • With my brand new iMac, the printer is connected directly to it via USB, but my MacBook Pro was connected to the printer wirelessly. Both methods of connection resulted in the same problem. As I mentioned previously, I printed out a PDF document yesterday using my new iMac that is connected to the printer via USB and the first page of the document was distorted. 
  • Sometimes I will print from my iPhone and I believe the same issue occurs. I can't say for certain because I rarely print using other devices. I also don't want to exceed my 15 pages a month limit by test printing. Even if I do, I don't think it will help because the issue usually occurs after the printer hasn't been in use for a while. 

HP Recommended

@jlan97, thank you for the detailed information.

I understand your concern. As the issue persists while printing from 2 different computers, it could be an issue with the printer itself. Ideally, we perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve such issues. However, as your printer is enrolled in Instant Ink, we cannot do that.

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team in your region.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

I'm honestly willing to resolve this issue while being on an HP Instant Ink plan. However, if you're implying that it's not possible to perform a factory reset on the printer while enrolled in Instant Ink, then I'm willing to temporarily unsubscribe from my plan if doing so allows you to perform the reset. I just learned that exceeding my monthly page limit will result in only a $1 charge for every 10 additional pages my printer uses. Therefore, I'm no longer concerned about exceeding my monthly page limit. Please let me know if my suggestion helps. 

Jacob

HP Recommended

@jlan97

I have sent a private message with the reset instructions. Kindly check the same.

Once the printer is reset, the printer will no longer be enrolled in Instant Ink, you will have to re-enroll the printer.

All the settings on the printer will be reset to factory defaults.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.