Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8710 (PN# M9L70A)
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Friends,

First time post. 

I have an OfficeJet 8710 All-in-one. I deeply regret that I enrolled in HP Instant Ink as I think I need a PhD in Network Configuration management to make it work. I am about to cancel my subscription but I fear that even if I do, my printer still won't be able to update itself. 

I have the typical network 'proxy server' question. Of course, I don't have a proxy server on my public internet provider (cable modem). 

The printer connects via wifi to a TP-Link Mesh network.

The access point it connects to is hardwired ethernet to main home switch with a TP-Link AX6000 running as the primary DCHP dynamic router (with associate firewall, etc.). I have tried (via Mac OS10.14 and safari as well as the HP Smart App / iOS browser) to do many things:

1. Set the printer to a static IP address on the local network

2. Tried the manual workaround adding the Google server of 8.8.8.8 as my primary proxy server (8.8.4.4 alternate) 

3. Tried opening a virtual port in the AX6000 for the static IP address using the DNS service with Port 8080 and then setting the printer proxy server to the AX6000 local IP address with port 8080

I really don't know how to get this thing to work. My home network is a bit more full-on than the typical consumer application but it's not like I have multi-nested firewalls or anything else going on. I can't even get it to update its driver software.

Please help before I throw this printer out the window and get a Canon?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jascanlan

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the connectivity issue. 

Try restoring the networking settings to defaults using these steps -

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2. Touch Network Setup.
3. Touch Restore Network Settings. A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.
4. Touch Yes.

Also, try resetting the router. You might have you contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

many thanks. 

neither of these solutions worked. It appears that instant ink is unable to function if it is connected to a non-primary router?

please confirm? The next thing I’m going to do is try connecting it hardline via Ethernet into the home network. 

I’m on the verge of cancelling this subscription and have begun to reconsider my multi-decades long loyalty to HP that extends all the way back to the original LaserJet days  

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @jascanlan

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.