Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

MY printer is less than 12 months old and still under warranty.

My black cartridge stopped printing although it was showing half-full. I followed the steps under the printer management section of their software - print diagnostic page, clean head, deep clean head, align head but still no black output.

I have an Instant Ink contract so went onto their live chat to ask if it was OK to install a fresh one even though current one not empty. Instead, I was given instructions to clean the cartridge with a cloth.

After following their instructions, I now cannot print anything at all as every attempt causes a "Cartridge Jam" error telling me  to clear any paper jam or obstruction. It also says to make sure the ink cartridge latches are lowered and snapped into place. I can't see any latches - the cartridges just slide into the holder.

I went back on to Instant Ink chat to tell them what had happened and they washed their hands  of it saying it was outside their remit -   after their advice caused the problem!

They said I needed to contact the Teach Team via Facebook, WhatsApp or phone. I don't have (or want) a Facebook account of WhatsApp and I am profoundly deaf so voice phone is not appropriate.

I  am posting here in the hope someone will come to my assistance. I can't believe there is no e-mail support for technical problems.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow below video t ensure you do insert the cartridges properly, for my experience such an error will occur when inserting the ink cartridges incorrectly:

Please let me know if that makes any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for this suggestion.

I followed the video instructions (which is the same way I refitted the black cartridge after cleaning it, BTW) but paper still jams on each attempt to print and I get “Carriage Jam” error.  The paper appears to get stuck under the metal bar at the front of the cartridge drawer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying @ewan_c!

Try following below steps to resolve a Paper Jam error with your printer and check for any difference:

If the same error persists, can you see the same error when removing the cartridges from the printer and closing the door, or may you see any other message?

HP Recommended

I shall follow the steps in your latest reply but, although the paper jams, the error message is “Carriage  Jam”  and NOT  “Paper Jam” as shown in your video.  I shall report back when I have completed the steps.

HP Recommended

Hello again

I followed all the steps in your Paper Jam video and there was indeed a tiny scrap stuck inn the paper exit slot so the jam problem is now resolved. Thanks.

However, the black cartridge is still not printing at all.  I already have a new pack of cartridges you sent when I signed up, should I just go ahead and install the black one?  Please advise.

HP Recommended

You are much welcome @ewan_c, great to see the Paper Jam error is not resolved!

For the ink cartridge issue, please go ahead and replace the cartridge with the new one supplied by the Instant Ink service.

If the old cartridge was supplied by Instant Ink too, please return it as described below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-instant-ink-series/5264756/model/5401249/document/c03922745

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I installed a new black cartridge.  I got the checking cartridge message & then the print alignment page message. I printed the page but it has no black output,  only blue graphics and "Important" written in red. When I scan the page to check alignment as per the message on the display, it says page not detected.  This is exactly the same situation I contacted your Live Chat about.

Before you ask, yes, I did install the cartridge as per the video you posted in a previous message and , yes, I did know to remove the seal from the printhead.

I'm still no further forward than I was when I first contacted your  LIve Chat a week ago and I’m now becoming increasingly frustrated & unhappy with HP support.

My printer is stil in warranty  and I need to know how you are going to fix  this no black output problem as it seems to me, given two black cartridges have now failed to produce black output, it  is not a cartridge error but a fault with the actual printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.