Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
07-30-2022 01:19 PM
Although all my ink levels are full or at least half full, my HP Envy 5640 is only printing in color. No black ink is printing. I have gone through the menus to clean the cartridges, clean the heads but nothing has worked. I get a sense that perhaps the print head for the black cartridge is blocked or died. I really don't want to replace the printer since the colors are still printing perfectly. Help!
08-03-2022 10:57 PM
The Envy 5640 has cartridges with the printhead integrated with the ink supplies. Replacing the ink cartridge will also replace the printhead. I would suggest the following:
- Get a clean coffee cup and put 1" of hot (not boiling) water in the cup.
- Put the black cartridge in the cup with the printhead facing downward (as the cartridge would be in the printer).
- Let the cartridge soak for fifteen minutes.
- Remove the cartridge and dry the electrical contacts with a lint-free wipe. A clean coffee filter works well for this.
- Blot the printhead on a damp tissue. At this point the cartridge should give a strong blot of black.
- Replace the cartridge in the printer and try printing. Run a cleaning cycle if needed.
If the black cartridge still fails to print properly and the cartridge did not give a good blot of ink after the soak then the cartridge should be replaced.
I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button
If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.