Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650 All in One Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since I've updated Windows 10 the printer gives me an error message saying the tri color cartridge is installed improperly and the printer won't print in color at all. I don't even see the option in the printing settings to print in color. Both cartridges are good on ink. I don't see what the problem is.

I've reset the printer, updated the firmware, and reinstalled the software but nothing worked. I run s business and need to be able to print. I've paid my subscription but can't print.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Bunny9929 ,

welcome to the HP Support-Community.

Sometimes, you can fix this kind of problems by installing a new driver. To do so, follow these steps:

0. go to the Control Panel --> hardware and sound --> devices and printers.

1. Click once with the left mouse button on your printer and then with the right mouse button.

2. Select "Printer properties" in the menu.

3. A popup opens. Switch to the "Ports" tab.

4. Search for your printer in the list and remember the port of your printer (e.g. WSD, LPT, ... ).

5. Now, go to "devices and printers" in the control panel and click  "Add printer" at the top.

6. go in the new window below to "The desired printer is not included in the list".

7. Select "Add local printer or network printer with manual settings" in the new selection and click "Next".

8. Set the item "Use existing port" in the new dialog and select the port of your printer in the combo box. Click "Next".

9. Now search for the HP Officejet Pro K550 Series printer in the list and click "Next". If the printer is not listed, click Windows Update.

10. The printer will now be installed. Print a self-test page.

11. Open any document and try to print it using the newly installed driver.

Let us know how it turns out! 😃

Best,

Nils_K

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

HP Recommended

The printer you suggested to pick from the list is an HP Officejet Pro K550 It show up because my product is the printer is Hp Officejet 4650.

HP Recommended

Hi,

@Bunny9929 wrote:

The printer you suggested to pick from the list is an HP Officejet Pro K550 It show up because my product is the printer is Hp Officejet 4650.

yes, I know that the K550 is not the 4650. 🙂 However, the driver of the OfficeJet K550 is compatible with your OfficeJet 4650 so if you install the K550 according to the instructions of my last post, you can print via the K550 driver and probably also in color. Please give it a try!

Best,

Nils_K

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.