Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

I have had an HPEnvy 7640 printer for 5 years. I never used the instant ink cartridges even though I'd registered for them. I have had no problems with this until about 2 months ago, and it says that I've installed non instant ink cartridges. It would not let me print. I went in and cancelled my instant ink cartridges and turned off the printer for a few hours. I turned it back on, and it still would not allow me to print. I've turned off my computer several times since then (about 3 weeks ago) and it still will not allow me to print. HELP!!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Blueskysunnyday 

It sounds like you had an Instant Ink plan, that you never used Instant Ink cartridges, and did (about three weeks ago) finally cancel the Instant Ink contract.

If you do now have Instant Ink cartridges in the printer

OR

because you did recently have an Instant Ink contract attached to the printer, if you have Instant Ink "Ready" ink cartridges in the printer -

both types of cartridges would have locked after the contract was cancelled.   

Locked cartridges cannot be unlocked and must be removed / replaced.

Assuming you have NON Instant Ink cartridges

and

assuming you are not using Instant Ink Ready cartridges that became part of the subscription and are now locked,

then another place to look:

Switch OFF web services to disconnect the printer from the Internet.

References

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

and

Cancelling Your HP Instant Ink Service

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.