Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Envy5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Had to reinstall printer on a new network, seemed to work ok, but printer wont print and says ink cartridges require me to enroll in instant ink program. I am enrolled in instant ink program, these are cartridges from the program, but the printer doesn't seem to recognize that. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Thirsty507

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the Instant Ink error. 

Please try these steps to reboot the devices - 

1) Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices. 
2) Wait for 60 seconds. 
3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize. 
4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself. 
5) Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue still persists, please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Thirsty507

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the Instant Ink error. 

Please try these steps to reboot the devices - 

1) Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices. 
2) Wait for 60 seconds. 
3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize. 
4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself. 
5) Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue still persists, please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  My printer thinks it is not enrolled in the Instant Ink program, but the Instant Ink program says it is.  This is a new printer for me and when I originally set it up it worked fine, printed ok, and I've even received my first Instant Ink delivery.  One morning I came down and the screen on the printer said "you have now been unenrolled from Instant Ink" and ever since then it won't print because it thinks the cartridges in my printer are unauthorized. 

I've tried the suggestions in the posted solution but they did not work for me either.

I need this printer for working from home - please help!

HP Recommended

Hi @ToriJ2001

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

As the issue is related to Instant ink cartridges, I need more information to help you out.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am also experiencing the same problem. The Instant Ink webpage says that my printer is enrolled and shows the printer is online. The webpage can't connect to the printer. The error message on the printer screen says cartridges cannot be used until the printer is enrolled. I have tried rebooting router, printer and computer as mentioned in previous suggested fix.

HP Recommended

@WC321, Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Have you checked your HP Instant Ink account page? Your Instant Ink account page will have notifications if there are any issues with the account or recent cartridge shipment, it will even provide solutions on how to fix the issue. You may log in to your HP Instant Ink account page from here.

If the suggested information can't be found, please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Let me know. 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

WC321 is having the exact same symptoms that I did.  I know the Instant Ink account page is *supposed* to tell you if there is a problem, but it this case it says everything is fine whereas the printer thinks otherwise.  I've seen many others with the same problem, so this is a repeatable recurring event.  I tried a lot of things based on tips I found while searching the forums, and a few things on my own, and eventually the problem went away, but I can't say for sure which of my experiments (or some combination of them) actually fixed it.  It would be nice to see a clean solution to this issue published where people can easily find it. 

HP Recommended

I setup my printer and Instant Ink on April 1st. It worked for 3 days and then I didn't use it for a couple of days. When I came back, my printer gives me the message that my Instant Ink has been canceled and I can't use Instant Ink cartridges. I checked my account online and everything looked fine. I saw that some people have had this problem when they first sign up and if they don't use the printer for a few days - so I waited. A day or two later I got my first Instant Ink shipment. I didn't use the cartridges because I don't know what is going on . I came to the forum and got the same pat answer to wait for a response on Private Message. I day or so later and no response but I discovered that my HP website Instant Ink account now shows that I'm not enrolled. Finally, today, I got a Private message telling me to chat with the Instant Ink people. Doesn't it seem like that could have been mentioned 3 days earlier?

So I go on chat and ended up disconnecting from two different agents. They kept insisting that my account was fine. They told me to let them talk first. They didn't need to listen to me, apparently. My account is NOT fine. Doesn't matter what it looks like on their end because when I sign in, I no longer have account information that I had before. I'm actually pretty intelligent and feel confident that I would know the difference between my account working and not. Additionally, this is further supported by the fact that my printer has been telling me for over a week that I'm no longer enrolled. So it seems I can't get around this so not sure how it will be fixed.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

@ToriJ2001

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward this to the Instant Ink department for research on the same and provide an accurate solution.

Keep us posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.