Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer is out of ink and cannot print the print code.

[Content Removed]

16 characters are needed for the print code. email only has 12

Thank you for any assistance.

Harold

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @harold_01

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with signing up for instant ink. I'd like to help!
Since you mentioned that you are out of ink? Could you elaborate more on that?

To signup for the instant ink account, you need to have one HP regular cartridge for setup. 

You may refer to the document here for further assistance. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The HP site for signing up for instant ink directed me to use the printer email prefix for the print code which requires 16 alphanumeric characters to be entered.

My printer email however only has 12 alphanumeric characters in the prefix.

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03767639

The printer is out of ink and cannot print the Printer Info Page

For printers with control panel displays, you can still get the printer claim code by pressing the HP ePrint

icon on the control panel display and selecting Set Up or Yes to enable Web Services. Your printer attempts to print a page. If Web Services are already enabled on your printer, you see a Web Services Summary screen after pressing the HP ePrint

icon. If enabled, press Print or Print Info to print the Printer Info Page. Even though you cannot print the page, the action of enabling Web Services or pressing Print or Print Info activates your claim code. Find your HP ePrint email address on the control panel display. Press the ePrint icon again if the Web Services Summary screen goes away. The first part of the HP ePrint address preceding "@hpeprint.com" is your claim code. For example, if your HP ePrint email is "abc@hpeprint.com", then "abc" is your claim code.
HP Recommended

Hi @harold_01,

Thanks for your reply. Please go through this document and see how it goes. 

Keep me posted.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your attempts. I have however gone through that document along with a few others and met some roadblocks each time.

In effort to sign up with HP Smart, I am asked to enter a pin or prepaid code. I don't have one.

When attempting to sign up with one of the instantink emails I've received, I need to print the print code which I can't because I'm out of ink.  I am instructed to access the hpeprint emailon my screen and use the prefix for the print code. But there are only 12 characters rather than the 16 required.

All I have received from you is, "tell me more about running out of ink".

"I must have ink to apply for instant ink". That's not what hp says.

I have asked questions with on answer or even an attempted answer to any of them.

Looks like I'll just need to purchase my ink where ever I can find it and forget about instant ink.

At this point I'm ready to look for non-HP ink.

HP Recommended

Hi @harold_01,

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Kindly follow this document and see how it goes. 

If this does not help then, you will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.