Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It's an 8 month old Envy 6230 from Mac OS (but the test page shows the same from the front panel).

Not fit for purpose, how do i get it replaced or get a refund?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, after a few torturous days on facebook with the support people it seems the ink level detection doesn't work properly, the colour one reported it was low and i replaced it - it seems replacing the "still a third full" black one now seems to have resolved the problem and I can print again.

The black was well over a half full when i started cleaning the heads (about 10 times), power-cycling and printing endless test pages, so i presume that old one must have got clogged, and maybe that was why it didn't know it was running out.Or something.

My advice would be: don't buy an HP printer...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mRvRyCRWPt, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Which version of macOS are you using?

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels.

Clean the ink cartridges

1. On the control panel, touch the Setupicon.

2. Swipe up on the display, touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear @

I have wasted more ink and paper printing out a "standalone" copy using the front panel and needless to say it is atrocious, i did say above i had printed the test page from the front panel in standalone mode too and that also was terrible.

I have also power-cycled the printer several times and it is connected to mains power directly (how would that prevent only the black ink from working anyway?)

I have run the cleaning cycle several times too before trying to get help from you, anticipating this level of support.

I would like to return the printer to you and buy a different brand. Please advise.

HP Recommended

Ok, after a few torturous days on facebook with the support people it seems the ink level detection doesn't work properly, the colour one reported it was low and i replaced it - it seems replacing the "still a third full" black one now seems to have resolved the problem and I can print again.

The black was well over a half full when i started cleaning the heads (about 10 times), power-cycling and printing endless test pages, so i presume that old one must have got clogged, and maybe that was why it didn't know it was running out.Or something.

My advice would be: don't buy an HP printer...

HP Recommended

@mRvRyCRWPt

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

😂🤣😂

HP Recommended

Solved...after one month I had to buy a new 6978 printer. Planned obsolescence.

HP Recommended

@DennyHo

Thank you for keeping us posted. Do visit our hp support community and drop us a message anytime you need help.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Called HP Support, and was provided a new black cartridge which resolved the problem.  I also got 7 months of the Free Ink, and was told new cartridges would be sent for this program.

HP Recommended

@bostondaphne

Glad to know that the issue was resolved after contacting HP Support team. 

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.