Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue with my Officejet Pro 6830. Was looking to try the steps indicated, but the document hyperlinked from the posted solution results in a 404 error. Can you reshare?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@StoutYeoman, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the ink levels

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink Information icon  to display the current estimated ink levels. Replace any low or empty cartridges.

Clean the printhead

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe the display to scroll to Printer Maintenance, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Clean Printhead.

4. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. If necessary, repeat these steps for the third cleaning cycle.

5. NOTE: If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.

Now, Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to scroll to Setup, and then touch the Setup icon . The Setup menu displays.

2. Swipe the display to scroll to Reports, and then touch Reports.

3. Touch Print Quality Report. Check for black.

For more info on resolving print quality issues, refer to this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

None of that work. Printer firmware is already up-to-date. Cleaning the print heads just prints pages with CMY ink, no K. My guess at this point is the black ink cartridge is a dud, even though it's new.

HP Recommended

@StoutYeoman

Is the printer enrolled in Instant Ink?

The black ink cartridge installed in the printer, is it an Instant Ink cartridge?

If you are using regular ink cartridges, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.