Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replaced my printer and what to do with unopened ink

hp officejet pro 6978
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi folks,

My 6978 from 2016 stopped working. Couldn't figure out how to fix it or what was wrong with it. I just bought a new 6978 a few days ago. I have replaced the old one on my instant ink account with the new one. I have unopened ink cartridges that were sent in May. I haven't had to use them yet. Will they work with my new printer or were they just for the old printer? That is, are the cartridges that are sent specifically coded to work with an individual printer - or can they be used by any printer using 902 cartridges having an instant ink account?

Same model - uses 902 cartridges. 

I'm on a Mac running 10.15

Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,139 6,132 397 485
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replaced my printer and what to do with unopened ink

Hi @MusicMegga

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

If the Instant Ink cartridges are unopened, you may use them in the new printer. If you have any used Instant Ink cartridges from the old printer, it will not work in the new printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation