Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5542 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I haven't used the printer in a while but when I now try to print, the black cartridge (which indicates that it has plenty of ink left) is not printing properly (irregular density and very faint).  I cleaned the cartridges with the printer cleaning cycle 3x but nothing changed.  The color cartridge which has very little ink left appears to be working fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@donscnh

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting print quality issues, I am glad to assist you.

Follow the steps mentioned in the HP document to fix the issue:- Click here

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others. 

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@donscnh

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that you are getting print quality issues, I am glad to assist you.

Follow the steps mentioned in the HP document to fix the issue:- Click here

Keep me posted.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others. 

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed all of the suggestions that were recommended and the black ink cartridge is now working fine.  However, when I print a photo, there is now horizontal banding on the paper which appears to be due to the color cartridge.  The banding presents as bands of alternating darker and lighter areas of color.  I have tried everything on the recommendations but with no success.  The color cartridge is not showing empty but is low so I am wondering whether this could be the problem? (the document that you provided suggested that a "low" cartridge could present a problem).

Thanks for the help; it did resolve the problem with the black cartridge.

HP Recommended

@donscnh

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need assistance.

Replace the color cartridge for better print quality.

If this solution was helpful, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here are the most common causes of a printer printing faded text or images: Low ink or toner levels. Toner sticking to the fuser roller or problems with the transfer roller. Low ink or toner density setting

Regards,

Will

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.