Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP office jet pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am the owner of the HP Office Jet Pro 8740, all in one. A few years ago, we had a problem with printing the images, they were of a poor quality. As the printer was on warranty, the company decided to provide two new print heads and two sets of cartridges. However, it didn’t solve the problem. In the end, I was given a new printer.

All inks, which I had, were tested and worked well on a new printer. When the inks got empty, I have swapped them for the previous one, the one which were working well before. Unfortunately, I got information that they are blocked.

At the moment, I have two sets of brand new, full cartridges (they weren’t used in any different printer and they weren’t refilled) and I can’t use them because they are blocked.

I have tried all tips from virtual assistant… I have updated the software to the latest version. Also, I have tried to disable cartridge protection and it didn’t solve the problem.

Is there any chance to unlock or swapped the cartridges?

I am looking forward to any reply.

Regards,

Perez

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Perez7.

I'd like to help with the printer issue!

To better assist you - 

Was the cartridge protection enabled on these cartridges, when used on the old printer?

If yes, then I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

Let me know!

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

When it comes to cartridge protection, I think it was enabled on old printer but not sure. I have tried all options from Contact HP - it didn't help either. Do you have more suggestions? Maybe there is other way to solve the problem?. At this point, I am thankful for your involvement in this matter.

Kind regards,

Perez

HP Recommended

If you had the old printer we could use it to bypass the error, as you don't you can reach HP support for assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

Unfortunately, I don't have an old printer as I had to send it back as it was on guarantee. As I said, I have two sets of brand new, full cartridges and  I can't rely on HP contact and HP support, as I have tried all options. Nothing help. Is there any chance to send these inks back to HP and fix them or replace them for the right one?  Is there a chance to contact with an agent via phone or e-mail?

Have you got any idea how to solve the problem without using HP tools from HP website, because it doesn't work at all?.

Thanks in advance,

Perez

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.