Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 4650.  I installed cartridges that came through the instant ink program long after I cancelled the instant ink program.  the printer worked fine for a few weeks but I'm now getting the CANNOT PRINT error.  How do I fix this???

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The Instant Ink cartridges will not work after the program is canceled (after a possible grace period) and will need to be returned to HP as described in the terms of service.

You will need to replace the Instant Ink cartridges with retail cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

but I've already paid for these cartridges...even if I didn't use them for over a year.  this sucks!

HP Recommended

I HAVE CHANGED ADDRESS AND SERVICE PROVIDER AND MY PRINTER SETUP IS ALL NEW INFO . NOW THE PRINTER GIVES A MESSAGE THATS SAYS "CANNOT PRINT VISIT HP"

HP Recommended

WHAT HAPPENS IF I RE-INSTATE MY CONTRACT WITH HP

HP Recommended

@TRH2 wrote:

but I've already paid for these cartridges...even if I didn't use them for over a year.  this sucks!

The above is one of the biggest misconceptions regarding the Instant Ink program.  When you sign up for the Instant Ink program you are NOT purchasing ink, you are purchasing a subscription to a set number of pages per month.  The ink is supplied, but remains the property of HP and must be returned if you cancel the program in accordance with the terms of service.  See sections 5.d and 9.c of the terms of service here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

appreciate your quick response.  so I have to replace the cartridges with retail cartridges... if I don't return the instantink cartridges what happens???

HP Recommended

@TRH2 wrote:

appreciate your quick response.  so I have to replace the cartridges with retail cartridges... if I don't return the instantink cartridges what happens???

The Instant Ink cartridges will no longer work.  I have no experience with this I would not speculate on what other actions might be considered.  See the terms here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.