cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

"Instant Ink" is so misleading..I've never felt so ripped off!

HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET 5255
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I purchased this Printer and was reluctant to sign up for Instant Ink but it seemed easier and one less thing to worry about. Here's the catch, Instant Ink sends you as many cartridges as you need.....because they charge you for the paper's printed. There is a chip in every cartridge that "counts" the pages you use....or don't...the bottom of my bill says ***Page counts are not recorded in real time. Printed pages are automatically recorded about once per day and reflected in your Print History on the date they were printed provided that the printer is connected to the Internet via WiFi or Ethernet. If pages are printed when the printer is not connected to the Internet (offline), those pages will be recorded on the date the printer comes back online. Pages printed without using Instant Ink cartridges are not recorded.*** if you go over the amount allowed in your monthly plan.... I chose the $4.99/100pages plan and was unaware of the additional fee of $1.00/ for every 15 pages OVER your plan's allotment. So not only do I literally pay for the actual physical paper, Now i'm being charged by HP for the paper i've already purchased! In the ONLY month i've had this subscription I was billed $61.00 for 1,117 pages OVER my plans. HP didn't even send notice about being "over my allotted plan pages". I thought the whole purpose of "Instant Ink" was to have the printer order the ink? It is SOOO misleading. Yes they will send you as many cartridges as your printer "calculates" but you'll get charged for papers you MAY OR MAY NOT have even printed!!!! Also when you print for Alignment or "printer startups" etc, that's included in your plan AND if you were to print 6 pages double sided they charge you for 6 pages not 3. UGH! I suppose this is HP's way of getting their money and then some for the mediocre ink cartridges they send. Also I had  "instant ink" cartridges coming in the mail when I didn't even finish the ones in the printer! But the printer keeps saying Low Ink Low ink. The cartridges aren't even empty! I had a box of unused ink that was delivered March 7th and the whole month the printer kept saying to replace them. But if I printed 1,117 EXTRA pages...wouldn't I of gone through ALL THAT INK???  I cancelled my subscription. BUT the catch is they won't release you from it for another month and will not let you out of it. So the only option I am stuck with is to remove the Instant Ink and buy additional cartridges. For 2XL 63 Cartridges it was $50. They will last 2 months or longer. I wish I knew before I signed up, they were sued in court for this scheme and lost. Ridiculous. The issue I had with the equipment was connecting with my computer, even with them literally being 3 feet from one another....every time I had to shut the printer off/on again. I haven't been able to print anything since yesterday due to the printer basically suspending privileges maybe because I am not enrolled in their plan. For the last 24 hours i've been fighting with this printer, ink cartridges, HP's Virtual Agent and can't even CONNECT.....But sure enough SOMEHOW I printed 8 pages today. Must of been an early present from the Easter Bunny because the migraine i have with dealing with this garbage company and equipment....Astronomical. I'm sending it all back.

1 REPLY 1
asmita6658
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,452 14,454 1,434 1,724
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation