Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7858
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Envy 7858 printer broke and I replaced it with an identical model.  I have two sets of unused ink cartridges and one set of nearly new cartridges from the old printer.  I get error message saying I cannot use them in the new printer.  What am I supposed to do with these unused cartridges???

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Are the cartridges Instant Ink cartridges? Instant Ink cartridges will only work in a printer with an active Instant Ink subscription.*  Additionally, once an Instant Ink cartridge has been installed in a printer it will not operate in a different printer.

If the cartridges are retail cartridges what exactly is the error message?  If the error message for the cartridges that have been used in a different printer is "Cartridge protection error" or some similar it would indicate that cartridge protection was set (perhaps by default) in your previous printer.  If cartridge protection has been set on a cartridge it will only work in the original printer.

* When you sign up for the Instant Ink program you are NOT purchasing ink, you are purchasing a subscription to a set number of pages per month.  The ink is supplied, but remains the property of HP and must be returned if you cancel the program in accordance with the terms of service.  See sections 5.d and 9.c of the terms of service here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

These are Instant Ink cartridges.   So, what happens to the almost new cartridges I had installed in the other printer?  The "ink" or pages are just lost or thrown away?   I paid for "pages", so is there any way to return them for credit???

HP Recommended

When you sign up for the Instant Ink program you are NOT purchasing ink, you are purchasing a subscription to a set number of pages per month.  The ink is supplied, but remains the property of HP and must be returned if you cancel the program in accordance with the terms of service.  See sections 5.d and 9.c of the terms of service here.

HP does have provisions to cancel your previous printer and enroll a replacement printer in Instant Ink, I would suggest you contact HP Instant Ink Support.  Log into the HP Instant Ink site, the phone number (or chat option for some countries) will be listed in the lower right of the opening screen.

Instant ink UK.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.