Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Macbook Pro 2018
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Can I use SOLIDWORKS on my MacBook Pro via HP RGS from a Zworkstation running SOLIDWORKS?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes, you can download the HP RGS receiver on your MacBook Pro and use it to connect to the HP RGS sender on your Z Workstation.  Solidworks and your Solidworks files would be installed on your Windows HP Z Workstation in this scenario. 

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply

I will be able to do all 3D modeling and simulation?

Will I be able to access/use Rgs on my MacBook in college while the Z workstation is at home?

HP Recommended

Yes to your first question. If you have a good network connection you would not know that you were not sitting at your Z Workstation, even though you were using your Mac.

Your second question is a bit more involved.  HP RGS requres that the sender and receveir can "see" each other on the same network. Typically a remote person would use thier corporate VPN (Virtual Private Network) to allow them to remote from home into thier workstation at the office. The VPN lets them join the company network so the RGS receiver can see the RGS sender.

In your case, you would need to grant yourself access to your home network when you are at college. In order to do that you will need to setup your own VPN or do some port forwarding on your home network router.  Both of those options will require some Google searches and thought.

It is possible to do what you want, but there is not much material from HP to help. HP RGS is often used at universities, AEC or Prod Dev engineering companies, oil and gas companies, and animation/VFX or broadcast companies that have an IT department who provides VPN access to employees or students.

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.