Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hello,

Does HP RGS support dual monitors on Mac OS X?  I'm having trouble setting this up, the closest I can get is fullscreen on one display with a scrollbar to show the second display.  Is this supported and is there a trick to get this working?

Thanks,

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Apologies for the delay.  I have been looking into this setup and basically we don't offer a great solution for dual display on a Mac receiver (one external monitor and the Mac display).  Basically On Mac OS, if the OS setting Displays have separate Spaces is not selected, an RGS Receiver window can span multiple sender monitors. If the RGS Receiver has multiple monitors, one monitor displays full-screen mode and the other monitors display nothing.   This is from the user guide.  However, during our testing if “Spaces” is disabled in the Mission Control system preferences, a single window can be stretched to multiple monitors. If “Spaces” is enabled, the window will only show up on one monitor. Regardless of the setting for “Spaces”, if you double click on a window border (maybe this is called maximize), the window will expand to a maximum size and will be shown on only one monitor. The scrollbars will disappear if the window fits on the display. MacOS decides whether the window fits. If your sender has multiple monitors, it is very likely that double clicking on the window border will show scroll bars. If you press the full screen button, the window will expand to fill all of one monitor. If “Spaces” is disabled and you press the full screen button, one of the monitors will be black.

MacOS doesn’t allow a single window to span multiple monitors when the app is maximized or made full screen.  

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I am actually just looking at this.  Request from another customer.  What resolution are you trying to match?  Do you have two monitors attached to your MAC, daisy-chaining the monitors, or just one monitor and the other display is the MAC screen?  Are you using a docking station of any sort?  What OS do you have on your MAC?  What is your sender setup?  Headless or does it have monitors?  What OS is on your sender?  If Win 10, what build and version.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Forgot to ask, which version of RGS are you using on your Mac and your sender?

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Kelly thanks for your assistance.

RGS Receiver:

Version  7.5.0.15654 (25-Apr-2018)

Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon)

OX X 10.11.6

2 x 27in Apple Cinema Display (2560x1600)

Each monitor is connected to its own dual-link DVI port

RGS Sender:

Version  7.5.0.15654 (25-Apr-2018)

HP Z2 Mini G3 (GeForce model)

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations v.1803

2 x DisplayPort emulator dongles attached to ports 1 and 2

I rebooted the Mac Pro into Window Server 2012 R2 and RGS receiver software works perfectly.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,

D.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.  Are you saying the reboot resolved your issue?  My apologies for not being on the forum in a while.  Looking into some Mac issues now since we are getting ready for a new release.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

No, what I'm saying is that if I boot up my Mac Pro using Boot Camp (Windows Server 2012) I can connect to the HP Mini (sender) and see dual screens are working fine. 

That means there has to be something wrong with the Mac OS version of the receiver, as the Windows version works just fine using the exact same hardware.

Thanks,

D.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarification.  Let me do a little testing on with my Mac and see what I get and if I can get you a working setup.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Kelly thanks for your efforts to-date in troubleshooting this issue.  Any progress or update at this stage?

Thanks,

D.

HP Recommended

Hi, it's been two months without a solution for this isssue.  Any updates? 

Thanks,

D.

HP Recommended

Apologies for the delay.  I have been looking into this setup and basically we don't offer a great solution for dual display on a Mac receiver (one external monitor and the Mac display).  Basically On Mac OS, if the OS setting Displays have separate Spaces is not selected, an RGS Receiver window can span multiple sender monitors. If the RGS Receiver has multiple monitors, one monitor displays full-screen mode and the other monitors display nothing.   This is from the user guide.  However, during our testing if “Spaces” is disabled in the Mission Control system preferences, a single window can be stretched to multiple monitors. If “Spaces” is enabled, the window will only show up on one monitor. Regardless of the setting for “Spaces”, if you double click on a window border (maybe this is called maximize), the window will expand to a maximum size and will be shown on only one monitor. The scrollbars will disappear if the window fits on the display. MacOS decides whether the window fits. If your sender has multiple monitors, it is very likely that double clicking on the window border will show scroll bars. If you press the full screen button, the window will expand to fill all of one monitor. If “Spaces” is disabled and you press the full screen button, one of the monitors will be black.

MacOS doesn’t allow a single window to span multiple monitors when the app is maximized or made full screen.  

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.